The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Quiet street muffler

gvr4ever

Okay, I've been fixing my car up lately, getting everything up to par and the muffler on my car is driving my nuts. My system has a straight through glass pack Magnaflow that has just gotten louder over the years.

What would shut the car up, run quiet under normal driving conditions without being overly restrictive. I have a 2.5" exhaust.

I was entertaining the Dynomax PN 17758 super turbo series. Any thoughts?

I do want a dual output that looks more stockish too.

JNR

A 'turbo' muffler would probably be your best bet vs. a glasspack (magnaflow) or chambered muffler (not sure if it's true, but they say those aren't good for turbo vehicles; something to do with the exhaust pulses)...the larger the case, the quieter it'll be of course. Also, make sure your tip extends past the bumper, or close thereabouts...believe it or not, that helps a little and made a difference on mine, especially after 86's the ricer tip and putting a 3" on (my exhaust is 3" all the way from O2).

Okayplayer

These are some good options: click
They sound good, and they aren't very loud. A buddy of mine has one on his 1g and it's quieter than my magnaflow (which isn't loud by any stretch)

VR_IV_MR

what would be quieter

resonator + resonator + muffler

or

cat + resonator + muffler

???????

mitsuturbo

Quoting VR_IV_MR:
what would be quieter

resonator + resonator + muffler

or

cat + resonator + muffler

???????

A kitty siginificantly quiets things down vs a resonator.

James

Go with that vibrant muffler that I can't think of at the moment! The black dual tip one.

gvr4ever

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Why the desire for dual tips, instead of just a single, unassuming 3" straight tip?

Just a personal choice. I have a large single tip and I don't care for it. Going for total sleeperness. I want the car looking and sounding as close to stock as possible. More important, very smooth driving and quiet.

gvr4ever

Quoting James:
Go with that vibrant muffler that I can't think of at the moment! The black dual tip one.

I think I am learning to that. I think I've seen/heard them before and yes, they are quiet.

BTW, the car does have a high flow cat too. No resonator. That would be the last step, if even needed.

JNR

Yeah, I never cared for the band-aid idea of a resonator and IMO would be more unneeded restriction. I think a dual tip looks good on the VR-4 due to the bumper opening and had tossed around that idea if I get another muffler, although a rectangular tip with filleted edges may look cool, with a slant cut...of course, stainless steel too.

There is a way to remove drone if that's an issue, by installing an open tube off the side of the main exhaust; there is an easy, quick calc based on where the drone rpm occurs and that gives you the length you want that pipe to be; you avoid bends on that new open pipe, also.

mitsuturbo

I prefer a non shiny, discrete 3" straight pipe out the muffler. I don't see a need for "dual tips" since a straight 3" mild steel or aluminized pipe is very unassuming. It certainly doesn't lend to the car looking modified significantly. Although, once the Tial wastegate opens, it's a different story.

img.php

The lack of a cat makes my car louder than anything, i think. I'm telling you.. kitty keeps things a lot quieter. I've used a resonator, or "tube muffler" in place of the cat on mine, and while it's louder than with a cat, it's not quite as loud as a test pipe, or straight pipe. 1411 had a straight pipe on it, and you could hear the turbo "whistle" at idle a bit. At least with this setup i can't hear that now. I consider that a plus.

I have a muffler with dual tips, but didn't use it because it was too long, and the tips were spaced a bit too far apart. You'll need to find something with the tips relatively close together in order for it to fit/look right.

belize1334

Post-muffler is a tricky place on our cars if you're thinking about fitment. I wonder if you could get the same effect installing the drone pipe pre-muffler or if it's the muffler itself that introduces the resonant phenomena.

Redwood

im glad this is a topic being talked aboot right now. because im going to have to do this soon myself and want my car to sound like a sleeper as much as possible. i no i want it to be a 3" exhast all the way back. but want it to sounds as stock as can be. ill have to check out these muffers you guys have been talking aboot. good info thanks

citymunky

Quoting JNR:
PS - before one of the know-it-all smart asses make a comment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif, this is what I'm referring to (one place, but take a look around too)

This works. HKS adds capped resonator canisters just before their mufflers on the exhaust systems for G35/G37/350Z/370Z's. As you see the in the pic below, they'er canisters connected to resonator tubes. There was NO DRONE what so ever with this exhaust, to the point where there was also no sound below 3000RPMs unless you got on it. I'm been thinking of doing something like that for my GVR4, because the exhaust note of a 4G63 is not the greatest in my book especially if you have drone, however its not that bad compared to Honda's. The things stopping me are not having a running GVR4, and not being able to weld.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfbya24T_jU

hksz33hipower_full__49189_zoom.jpg

Last edited:

JNR

I cannot stand the way 3.5 & 3.7 Nissan engines sound stock or slightly modified (the ones I've heard), with that hollow sound they have...was told it has to do with the cam overlap (LSA), but not 100% sure on that reasoning. Hopefully some of the aftermarket ones address this. I have a nissan 4.0 (basically 3.5 stroked) and it has a little hollow sound to it, but know it is extremely difficult to get an exhaust setup that doesn't sound ricey, have a bad rasp, etc. on them and sucks worse with it on a truck! I am really impressed with the engine though, just hope I can get an exhaust that sounds decent and not overly loud. Had thought about putting that 'drone eliminator' setup and that way it'd open up options, as glasspacks don't sound good, nor do chambered (better though) and nobody seems to have a turbo muffler setup, which I think would be the best...Am going to put LT headers and a new Y, larger tubing and a smaller muffler (oem is huge), but afraid of it sounding like a rice truck. I've heard some that don't sound too ricey, but are just too loud unless they are manual and actually have something to back it up, like a supercharger, etc.

Last edited:

BpuVR4

its not dual tips, but the one piece thermal r/d exhaust on my VR4 is sounding pretty nice and deep.

citymunky

You are the 1st person that I heard say that beside maybe a old school muscle cars guy. To me 4.6L Mustangs sound hollow.

Chicago1

Darkstar had a diesel truck muffler on his 1g. 3" with dual tips. Looked stock and was freaking quiet. Pushing about 500+awhp and had a cutout when you actually wanted to hear something. I'll ask what muffler it was but it was quiet.

belize1334

Important distinction: HKS uses helmholtz resonators whereas the linked article describes the use of quarter-wave resonators. Helmholtz resonators have a resonant frequency thats related to the diameter of the throat, the volume of the chamber and the ambient density, pressure, and temperature of the gas. They're basically mimicking the effect of blowing across a bottle top. Quarter-wave resonators, on the other hand, are more like organ pipes and they're resonance is determine from the wavelength of the sound wave that drives them. They both need to be tuned and they're both affected by atmospheric conditions. Helmholtz resonators are more sensitive to changes in temperature and air pressure, but they're also more compact. Quarter wave resonators require more space since they're usually like 30" long. But the quarter wave has the added benefit that it only cancels noise from an existing sound wave whereas a helmoltz resonator is always making noise and it only has a cancellation effect when theres something for it to cancel against.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts