The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Quick Question: Which Way -PIston Ring Top/Bottom

mean_green

Which way do the piston rings need to be on the piston? The inner edge I believe has a "beveled" if you want to call it that look and just wondering if the straight cut or rounded edge goes on top??

TIA
-Alan

mitsuturbo

Since when?

Most rings have a marking on them. This marking always goes UP, afaik.

The Mahle rings i just installed have a beveled inside lower edge on the 2nd ring. They're clearly marked "up" on the top of the ring. This has been my experience with ALL piston rings. There has always been at least a dot to indicate the "up" side of the ring on any i've installed.

mean_green

Theses are OEM rings and last night I didn't notice any indicators of what side goes up when I was looking over them. Maybe I missed something??

89Mirageman

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Since when?

The Mahle rings i just installed have a beveled inside lower edge on the 2nd ring. They're clearly marked "up" on the top of the ring. This has been my experience with ALL piston rings. There has always been at least a dot to indicate the "up" side of the ring on any i've installed.

You are correct, I edited my post. I went to lilevo's site and downloaded the 4G63 overhaul manual to verify and the notch does go down on the 2nd ring.

mean_green

Well I assembled my bottom end last night and did the notch for the top ring up and bottom ring down. The bottom ring did have an 'N4'on what I put as the top so hopefully that's how its all suppose to go... I couldn't access/find the overhaul manual on lilevo's site on my BB and that's what I've been using for online exploring lately so I guess a comp test will tell me down the road :/
-Alan

fivestardsm

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Since when?

I have actually ran into the problem of the non marked rings several times. The nippon rings do not have a mark on them at all. I even contacted nippon to figure out why. I recived several different explanations, but finally got the correct answer. The only reason that I had to ask instead of just putting them on like most rings, was because the nippon rings that I haad, were cut slightly differently then stock rings.

Afer all the confusion, it ended up just being a "why the f" did they not just mark these damn things or throw in a $.02 piece diagram with directions.

Just my experience.

89Mirageman

Sounds like you installed them correctly. You can get the manual from here:

click

Once you open it up scroll down to 11C-100 for the rings.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts