The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Quick question about main caps

92GVR4num65

So a DSM buddy of mine gave me an old 6 bolt block, crank, pistons, and rods for free this weekend and i had planned to use this to start building a replacement for 65's current 4g. Bad thing is he cant find any main caps and ive read a few things saying if you do not have the matching caps from the block its basically a boat anchor. then i found Jay Racings billet main caps. I know there is a certain amount of machining to be done with those to ensure they are true with the block but im thinking they wouldnt offer them if they couldnt be used. Am i correct in thinking i can use those? Anyone have experience with the billet main caps

Street Surgeon

It is my understanding that if you don't have the main caps for a block you can just get a set and have the block line honed. You could also use the billet caps but if you're already looking to spend that kind of cash just use that money on a good 6-bolt core that already has the caps anyway and start from there.

Last edited:

92GVR4num65

Awesome thank you! I think I'll use the billet caps since it'll be line honed anyway and the billet caps will provide a stronger bottom end base. I'm also thinking of using a kiggly girdle too. I'm building this thing strong as a fortress and only once!! Thanks again for the info.

prove_it

If you do all that, you MUST have the block line bored with all the parts that will be installed. So be sure to bring the girdle, arp studs and caps to the machine shop. Also you'll want to ask Jay's what torque spec to use. Your machinist will need all this to properly line bore the block.

Gizmovr4

What's the expected power of your build? I would just buy another block that has the stock caps. Just because there are people that sell custom parts that doesn't necessarily mean those parts are needed by most or are even better than the stock parts they are ment to replace. Save the money of buying the parts and having them machined to fit and invest the money on other parts of the build. There are more cars making serious power without those parts than with them ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

92GVR4num65

right now im not really putting a "final number" on the build powerwise. Im going to start by maxing out the 14b and working my way from there. Since the turbo is pretty much brand new i see no point in running out and buying a giant turbo when i have pretty much no other supporting mods or way of tuning it right now. That being said since i am going to build this engine myself, except for the machining, i want to build it as strong as money will allow and at this point, an extra ~$500 for the caps, studs, and girdle is worth it in my eyes. And i know that using billet caps to max out a 14b is the most ridiculous amount of overkill however like ive heard 1000 times when it comes to building engines, build it right, build it once. As time progresses i would like to have the option to go for crazy boost, fuel etc but as far as im concerned thats just bolt ons. Ideally, if i build it strong enough, the internals should be able to withstand pretty much anything. That was long, i know. But originally i was just trying to disprove the "rumor" i had read a few places that only the matched main caps to that specific block can be used.

To me power is more than just a number goal....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts