The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Quick & Inexpensive Alternator Heat Shield Solution?

Oner

Just wanted to share something I came up with to hopefully address some of the heat issues our Alternators are prone to. Reposted from my IG Page ~

Out with the old & in with the new ~ as the saying goes....

There's another one as well that kinda applies pretty well in this case and that's"Woosa" (iykyk), because boy has this Alternator kicked my f'ing ass...but thats the price I pay for being stubborn by wanting to keep things OEM/OEM+ as much as I possibly can.

From keeping things like Cruise Control on a Stock Throttle Body to having working A/C which means I can't relocate the Alternator to the Compressor area away from the heat coming off the radiator, downpipe, o2 Housing & Wastegate Dump (lots of heat around there) - So I have no choice but to get creative!

Below is the list of what I was able to address over the last few days just to install a New Alternator and hopefully protect it from future radiant or direct heat issues ~

New Starter
20230112_155623.jpg
New Alternator
20230112_155605.jpg
Cleaned Up Wiring
20230110_121636.jpg
Heat Shrink & Tessa Taped Wiring
20230110_125503.jpg
DEI Heat Shroud Velcro Sleeve 1.5" on Alternator & o2 Sensor Wires
20230110_130644.jpg
20230111_154647.jpg
DEI Formable Heat Shield Barrier between Alternator & Exhaust components
20230112_134609.jpg
20230112_140031.jpg

🤞It works, as it's a simple & inexpensive solution to a VERY common problem on 6/7 bolt 4G63's but especially on Galant VR-4's. So with the knowledge of doing a few Alternators on my previous GVR-4 (and not wanting to do this again any time soon), I came up with a game plan that consisted of cleaning up any wiring, heat shrinking & Tessa Taping anything/everything that needed it, as well as using some DEI sleeving to cover/protect the Alternator Wiring PLUS fabricating a Heat Shield using their Form-A-Barrier product. And I'm pretty happy with the results...It's not perfect but so far it seems to work pretty well.

Hope this helps others in a pinch...will update as I put some time on it.

Last edited:

diambo4life

I relocated mine to the rear years ago and (upgraded it to a GM unit.) It was the best mod I ever did! I literally have never touched it. I have pulled the engine several times with it attached. Hated replacing these damn alternators every year.

T bags

I relocated mine to the rear years ago and (upgraded it to a GM unit.) It was the best mod I ever did! I literally have never touched it. I have pulled the engine several times with it attached. Hated replacing these damn alternators every year.
Is that the Gm/Saturn relocate kit?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned