The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

question about connecting rods

yeti

So to start i would like to ask if a normal machine shop has the reconditioning tools to grind and balance the connecting rods..

Also is this a must usually or do people not even recondition rods and use the old ones..

3rd where can i buy new connecting rods other than dsm graveyard ...
i can get 4 recondition rods for 260 including core charge(140) from them.

^Does this mean that a machine shop will charge 120 for reconditioning 4 rods ..(assuming the have the tools)

Most machine shops will re-con rods. I am a big fan of measuring the rods at a bare minimum. Rods stretch through repeated use. If they are out of round you will significantly shorten the life of your new bearings without having them re-con'ed. The price will vary between shops. You just have to call and find out.

Last edited by a moderator:

yeti

Only thing you said that confused me was "I am a big fan of measuring the rods at a bare minimum" what do you mean?

And I just found out my machine shop will but DSM graveyard will to for $15 a rod..

The very least you should do is measure the rods. If they are still round, and still proper spec, then run them, you're ok. Never reuse a rod without measuring it first. That is all.

Last edited by a moderator:

yeti

Quoting galant1517:
The very least you should do is measure the rods. If they are still round, and still proper spec, then run them, you're ok. Never reuse a rod without measuring it first. That is all.

Oh Ok Gotcha thanks,
Quick question
Do i have to use a bore gauge that goes by.0001 or can i get the .0005 one?

Also
Should I bother with clevite 77 or acl bearings or just arp hardware and stock bearings

Terrance362

As far as bearings, OEM or after market will be fine. First what are your intensions for this motor? Is it gonna be a DD or a weekend queen? When you put good parts in your motor it adds to the reassurance that you know what you have in your motor. It also depends on you budget.

yeti

Doing budget build for max 400hp DD,
Same as my galant but shes got forged rods, forged pistons, mls hg, arp main, rod, and head studs, acl bearings and thats it.( I didnt build that motor and havent built one yet)and she's been beat more than any car ive ever owned.

Just wondering what are the stock bearings good to?

yeti

So i got all my parts back form machine shop and he said that he did not recondition the rods because He said my crank was immaculate and the rods should be good to go.

Should i measure the rods with a bore gauge still for piece of mind?

I feel like i should trust the machinist because he has done a lot of 4g63 motors...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts