The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Protip:

turbowop

When boost leak testing your intake system, make sure to turn off you meth kit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

It's been a long time since I busted out the compressor and adapter to make sure my system was leak free, so I did it this evening. My stupid ass didn't shut off the methanol master switch. And since I had the key in the acc position so that I could see what the boost gauge was reading, it had power and meth started spraying into my UICP at 10psi. I heard a click (the relay) and didn't think much of it. I also heard the nozzle spraying, but with my loud compressor going, I thought it was just light boost leak at the throttle shaft seals. With no real boost leaks, pressure bled down pretty slowly so it was above 10psi for a good amount of time. It sprayed a shitload of meth over the course of two tests without me knowing. Then I tried to start the car... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I realized as soon as I turned the key and it didn't start like normal exactly what happened, and felt like a complete f***ing moron. I figured hydrolock and bent rod(s) for sure.

I pulled the plugs to find a pool of meth sitting on the pistons. I also disconnected the UICP from the throttle body to have a gush of methanol rush out. I wasn't happy, but knew I had to cross my fingers and clean up the mess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I used some vacuum hose taped to my shop vac to suck the methanol out of the cylinders. I also did a quick compression test to see what it would read. It wasn't pretty, but I knew all the meth probably washed the walls of the cylinders down, so I wanted to get it started and get some oil back on there. Plugs went back in, IC pipe reconnected and I started the car. It was pretty rough, but cleared up after about 60 seconds. I went out and drove it, warmed it up then did a couple of 2nd gear pulls. Got it back in the driveway and pulled the plugs again to do another compression test. 145psi across. f*** me. I think what saved me is that my trunk battery circuit breaker blew when trying to start the car. Is it possible to bend a rod in a hydrolock situation with just the starter? Was I freaking out over nothing?

That's one way to clean the carbon off the tops of the pistons...

cheekychimp

I can't say for sure but I would guess without combustion you'd be okay. Most hydrolock situations I've heard of were caused by a sudden ingestion of water when the engine was already running in the mid-range at least. I would have thought that whilst you can't underestimate the power of the starter that it wouldn't subject the rods to the same sort of pressures. How much fluid was on top of the pistons?

Edit: I also think that this situation was different in that the meth actually had somewhere to go (as evidenced by your UICP). Isn't the main issue with hydrolock the fact that the volume of water in the system is so high that it cannot be moved and since it cannot be compressed either, it's like slamming the pistons into a brick wall?

Last edited:

turbowop

There was a deep pool of meth on top of each piston. It had nowhere to go as the starter turned the engine over when the valves closed on any cylinder under the compression stroke. That is the definition of hydrolock. The meth nozzle is in the UICP just before the throttle body, which is why there was meth in the pipe. And also it flowed through the throttle body, into the intake manifold and then into the cylinders.

At this point, I know it's okay. Compression tests confirmed it's good to go as well as driving it around afterward. It's back to normal. I freaked out when I realized what I had done and thought I'd share now that I know it's fine. Yeesh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Yeah you are right. Compression is going to stop in the combustion chamber isn't it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

That said though, it wouldn't take much fluid to create a hydrolock situation that being the case, and I've never heard of anyone bending a rod from flooding an engine. Surely that's a very similar situation albeit there is usually less fluid involved?

cheekychimp

Did some searching.

Apparently people have hydrolocked engines with gas due to faulty injectors rather than just flooding the engine, so it is possible. Consensus however seems to be that bending rods and other really serious damage occurs in the mid-range whilst hydrolock occurring at very low rpms (idle) or on starting either results in no damage or bent valves etc.

Quote:

If an engine hydrolocks while at speed, a mechanical failure may occur. Common damage modes include bent or broken connecting rods, a fractured head, a fractured block, crankcase damage, damaged rod bearings, damaged seals, or any combination of these. Forces absorbed by other interconnected components may cause additional damage. Physical damage to metal parts will manifest in a "crashing" or "screeching" sound and usually requires replacement of the engine or a substantial rebuild of its major components.

If an internal combustion engine hydrolocks while idling or under low power conditions, the engine may stop suddenly with no immediate damage. In this case the engine can be purged by unscrewing the spark plugs or injectors and spinning the engine to expel the liquid from the combustion chambers. Depending on how the liquid was introduced to the engine, it possibly can be restarted and dried out with normal combustion heat, or it may require more work, such as flushing out corrupted operating fluids and replacing damaged gaskets.

I think you probably dodged a bullet mate!

Last edited:

curtis

Well no one has said it but go change your oil asap. All that meth sat on your pistons which leads to the rings which have gaps which drip down into the pan. Can't hurt plus with the meth cleaning out the rings I'm sure some trash is pasted down. Might even want to get a quart of flush since you have a competition coming up a little maintenance and fresh fluids everywhere might make a difference.

prove_it

Change your oil asap! What most likely happened is the pressure built during the crank and forced some meth past your rings and into the oil pan. You won't bend rods at 200 rpms, but the excess meth will get forced past the rings. Change you oil to prevent and possible bearing wash. I'm sure it washed the rings too, but since you didn't run it long I doubt there is much or any damage to the walls or rings (hopefully).

This is a great lesson to be learned though. I started reading this thread with my jaw open. Sounds like everything will be ok.

I wonder if it would have been possible to start a fire will all that meth and the potential sparks in the engine bay?

Last edited:

turbowop

Yeah, an oil change is on the agenda before I go out and drive the car again. It was due anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hs.gif

prove_it

Like you said, now you have no carbon in the cylinders, so it wasn't a total waste. lol. Probably added 2whp.....

curtis

2hp thats like 50 in a subaru right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

prove_it

yea, if the head gaskets aren't leaking all over...

ktmrider

Quoting curtis:
2hp thats like 50 in a subaru right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Only if you include the sticker too....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts