The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Prospective Owner

derelict

I am looking to get a GVR4 to play with. Some mild mods, an HPDE every now in again, but mainly something that I can tinker with/ restore (weird to think a 90s car needs restoration but they are quite old now) with my daughter as she grows up. I am seriously considering the GVR4 for a couple of reasons: I like their unassuming looks, I remember reading about them when I was in middle school, and I like the history. I have a few reservations though: the first being that this will be my first project/ restoration of a car heavy with electronics (1958 MGA, 1972 MGB GT, 1979 MGB) and second, parts supply. Are these two concerns non issues?

All of this, of course, hinges upon whether I can fit my 6'3" frame into it...

transparentdsm

it depends, is the car your look at an already electrical nightmare? the parts are not hard to find unless its body/interior, but they are available, you just have to look. most of the electrical, engine and drivetrain are interchangeable with the talon/eclipse/laser. there are also ways to make evo 1 - 10 interor parts work also. there is also a large amount of information on this site for just about everything you could need. as long as you have patients its all possible. it really comes down to you and if the project fits you.

derelict

No, I would not get one that is a nightmare. More than likely, I would probably buy one off of the board here. I was curious about things like door seals, etc... Things that parish over time and on some vehicles are difficult to locate. Basically, whichever I get, I would be tearing it apart pretty much from the word go to inspect and replace what needs doing. What possibly scares me the most is going to be engine management and other body electricals. I have not had great experiences with early 90s electrical systems.

thomcasey

6'3" isn't that tall. you will fit without issue in the VR4

LIV4PSI

Between base model Galants and DSMs, most parts are still readily available. Only a few GVR4 specific parts are hard to find

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I'm 6'3" also, and fit in both of mine, one sunroof, one non.

These cars are not that complicated electronically. They are only OBD1, so that is a plus in some ways. They have no CAN system so if you have issues with the ABS, you can disable it without any effect to the other systems. Just make sure the ECU has had its maintenance work done, or get it done right away.

Body parts are one area where things are getting scarcer. I think all the door seals and many exterior moldings are NLA. Bumpers are NLA too. Used parts are generally available though.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts