The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Progress on 1190

gvr41190

I purchased 1190 in May of 2010. Shortly thereafter, I decided to tear it down and do my best to clean it up. I don't have much time to work on it, so progress has been slow. I finally have enough done to share some things. Any input or criticism is welcome. This is the first time that I've taken on a project this big, and I'm definitely in over my head. That said, I'm very thankful for this forum!

1190 was a very used Ohio car with a good amount of surface rust underneath. The fuel tank was in bad shape, and there was some rot in the passenger rear wheel well area. The subframe components needed attention, too. In addition to the rust, the frame rails that connect the front part of the unibody to the back were badly crushed, looking like they had carelessly been used as lift points. Not cool.

After reading about rust prevention, I decided to go the POR-15 route, but before I could get to that point, I had a LOT of time under the car with a wire wheel. Not sure that I'm interested in doing that again! After getting the bottom prepped, I decided to address the crushed rails. I started by beating everything back into place as well as I could. I then wrapped the crushed rails with angle iron and welded them in place. I was a bit leery of doing this without having the car on loaded suspension, but after consulting a couple of body guys that I trust, I felt okay. Next, I made some patch panels for the wheel well area, and then addressed the fuel tank issue. Rather than searching for a decent 20 year old tank, I decided to install a fuel cell. I had a circular plate with an area for the sump made at a local fab shop. Once it was welded into place, I FINALLY was able to do the POR-15. I then seam sealed everything - rather sloppily, but it's all coated. I painted the trunk, and now I'm ready for rubberized undercoating to cover the seam sealer in the wheel wells and underneath. It feels good to be close to finished with the underbody work!

To address the subframe pieces, I bought a whole 4 bolt rear from of a Talon and had it powder coated. I replaced all of the ball joints, wheel bearings and bushings. The trailing arms have been welded using Larry Parker's washers. I got new brakes and rotors and a super ugly green Suspension Techniques sway bar. The front subframe got the treatment, too. I found a decent used manual steering rack and cleaned it up. Lots of other little things got the powder, too - the old H&R springs, the stock front sway bar, rear upper strut mounts, and tow hooks. The old AGX shocks were wire wheeled and painted with the POR-15 then topcoated with chassis black. They're not leaky, so good enough for now. Better suspension will happen at some point.

This is how it sits now.

As I've been doing this stuff, I've also been gathering parts: a freshly rebuilt 8 blade HX35 with BEP housing, TiAl MVS wastegate and Punishment Racing O2 housing, Jay Racing 044 fuel pump and -8an braided line, FP exhaust manifold, and other little stuff. My block is at the machine shop now being assembled with a Ross/Eagle combo. I still have a long way to go, but it feels good to finally share some of my progress.

Thanks for looking!

Steve

Okayplayer

Wow, I like where you are going with the fuel cell, are you planning to go all out track car? Also that subframe looks good too, keep it up.

GSX_TC

Im loving that fuel cell, how many gallons is that one? and Ross racing pistons are great, i have those in my GSX. what compression ration are you runnin for yours?

bobdole

looks great. Keep up the great work. Look forward to seeing more pics.

gvr41190

Thanks for the encouraging words!

To answer your questions, this car will be primarily a street car, but it will definitely make it to the track. All of the patch work was done to the passenger rear wheel well area. The cell is a 12 gallon, and the pistons are 8.5:1.

I got a chance to get a little work done today. Here are a few new pics.

Here's a patch in the passenger rear wheel well after seam sealer.

Here it is after getting sprayed with rubberized undercoating.

A patch behind the wheel well -

Inside behind the wheel well -

After undercoating -

Some of the rusty pieces -

Repair to the damaged frame rails -

Fuel cell sump after undercoating -

Fuel cell in trunk -

Thanks for looking!

strokin4dr

Looking very nice. Props for diving straight into the repairs. I'm always a bit hesitant to mess with stuff like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Sump looks good too!

gvr41190

I have been making slow progress on 1190, but at least it's progress! It feels good to be bolting stuff back onto the car. I've now got the engine bay painted, the rear subframe mounted, the front struts assembled, new front wheel bearings, brake components installed, and the abs wiring removed. Here are some pics.

At this rate, I hope to done with the car before internal combustion engines are outlawed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif That said, if anyone feels the overwhelming urge to go to a little hick town outside of Dayton, OH and help me get this thing going, send me a pm.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts