The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Problems..

Ive had my galant for 2 years now, and it has never really ran right. I had the ECU capped and it still didn't fix my problem. Now when I try to start the car, I get a very audible click in the ecu. (its hanging down so I can see it) The car wont turn over at all, but all the lights in the dash light up. Any advice? Is there someone close to las vegas that maybe has an extra ecu I can try? Maybe someone knows of this problem and can recommend someone to ship the ecu to verify its functionality? Im at a total loss with this issue.. Any thing else I can do to eliminate some potential failures when dealing with electronic problems? thanks

4g63mightymax

A very audible click near the ECU may just be your MPI relay doing its job. If it is clicking wildly than your battery may not be charged properly.

So, Let's figure this out...

- Turn your headlights on and try to start the car - do the headlights dim way down or stay brightly lit? Report back, and we will go to step 2.

The headlights stay brightly lit. The audible clicking is from a relay bolted to the crossmember under the dash panel door. (two screws hold it on) Ill check voltage on the battery right now.

Battery is at 11.81 volts, try to start, same thing.. I should say it isn't even turning over either.. it just died two days ago, and it wont even turn over. Starter isn't even clicking..

transparentdsm

that is the mpi relay. your ecu is probably fried or corroded. pull it out take some pictures and send them to ecmlink and see what they say. they do good fast work and usually get the ecu back in 3 days and probably wont cost much more then 50 or so.

I had a local guy look at it here in vegas, and he said it was fine, although im starting to have doubts. It does look very good, pictures wont do a thing I don't think. I had terry redo the caps about a year ago and he tested it in his car and said it was fine. I need someone who has a standalone tester I think. Contact ecmlink anyway?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
11.8 volts is a dead battery (less than about 12.3 or 12.4) Charge it or replace and try again.

It started fine yesterday, and the headlights stay lit brightly.. Ill hook up to the diesel and try it again..

4g63mightymax

It could definitely be a loose battery terminal or main power wire. I'd check those and then try to jump start it to see what happens.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting Vr4Problems:
Battery is at 11.81 volts, try to start, same thing.. I should say it isn't even turning over either.. it just died two days ago, and it wont even turn over. Starter isn't even clicking..

This topic comes up every few months

starter

more,

even more

89Patches

I had this same problem, It just turned out to be old loose terminals at the battery.
I replaced them and haven't had a problem since.

Ended up being the plastic spacer for the clutch pedal switch. Now it starts but still runs rough..

galantrevolution

So I just got this car and install a good maf the car runs but it after a while die, I try go give it gas so it won't stall but it doesn't respond also idles at 1300, also I try another MPI relay but still does the same any ideas?

jnava

Staff member
LOL, I had that when I installed link, I forgot that i had re-installed the clutch switch. It was just clicking and not starting. Realized what happened and removed it and startup was great....Then my battery died..lol

galantrevolution

I fix the clutch switch problem but I can find why it dies after a few minutes of been running

galantrevolution

So I had to bring my scanner from work so I could check the car found a code for a cam signal problem, I had another cas and replace it now the car runs good no problems I guess having the right tool make the job more efficient

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts