The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

pretty sure my ecu is bad, double check my diag?

presterone

So started with a rough running and stalling issue. Code for air meter, vehicle sat for a few months, changed MAF and then car wouldn't start or sputter at all. Checked for spark, had spark but a dead fuel pump. Replaced pump, it powers up just fine and still no start. Checked for spark, no spark. No power at the injectors. MPI relay is good and has power to one leg with fuse removed. Swapped main efi relay(big bronze) double relay and still no start. I have power at one pin of the main relay and two with ignition on.

presterone

Also no CEL lights up when key is on and supposedly its had the caps replaced less than two years ago

slugsgomoo

open the case, inspect for any scorch marks, and sniff for smells... also, might take pics of the inside of the ecu and let us have a gander.

presterone

Pulled the cover off and there is a residue around the caps and the large "chip" looking thing near the caps has black residue around the pins. What makes me second guess all this, is if the residue is from a poor solder Job or the old caps leaking? No odor either. They are relitavely new but still can fail I imagine.

presterone

OK so I got a non eprom ecu from a 91 gvr4, the car runs but doesn't want to idle and sputters a bit on lower rpm. Are there any pins I need to swap?I could only find info comparing 1991 cars to 90. Also my boost gauge is doing some weird stuff(factory cluster boost)

presterone

I will get the nu!mbers tonight, what I mean by weird stuff is when I'm keeping the rpms steady at 2k with the car standing still the boost gauge will fluctuate.

presterone

So it's weird my check engine light still doesn't come on with the key on. The car runs and drives but won't idle. The 91 gvr4 ecu part # is md165810 with an e suffix at the bottom. The ecu has rebuilt stickers from ZDR electronics.

presterone

According to vfaq the 91-91 gvr4 part numbers are the same. So no swapping pins tomorrow I'll check for battery voltage at the ecu and grounds. I wonder if a shorted wire has just enough voltage to run the car but not have the ecu working 100% thus not allowing the CEL to come on. Just a hunch I hope that's all it is.

slugsgomoo

Technically the eprom in the 1g & vr4 are slightly different because the vr4 came with a "hacked maf" from the factory, though I doubt it would cause this.

How modded is the car? (specifically anything fuel or turbo/piping related). Have you done a boost leak test? Have you attempted to set the BISS screw properly?

Stock ecu estimates boost based on airflow and that makes me suspect weird airflow readings causing the fluctuation there.

presterone

Both cars are 100% bone stock and this not a 1g ecu. Before I start looking into other things I want to know how the CEL still doesn't come on with the key on. but it does run and cruises, it just doesn't idle.

AllanL

CEL might be something blown int he ECU.

had this same problem when i shorted the wire to the CEL light on the dash.

poor idle may mean some problem in the ISC drivers or the circuit from the pin out to the driver.

also had this issue, when the pcb trace on the ecu was cut and half of the isc circuit was not giving any signal to the isc.

here's a link:
click

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts