The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

power window fault on 6G Galant Viento

fuel

Hey guys, I've got a fault with my power windows on my '92 E35A Galant Viento (1.8 DOHC16V) - the front passenger side window will only go UP but not DOWN from the switch on the front passenger door, however the window will not go UP or DOWN from the driver's side control panel.

Here's what I've done so far:
* Have replaced window regulator motor with a known good one, I am able to manually make the window go up and down by applying power to the motor directly.
* Have replaced the switch on the door with two known good ones (the one from the rear door which works, and the front passenger door switch from my VR-4)
* I have swapped over the control panel from my VR-4 and it's still exactly the same. The Viento control panel into the VR-4 is able to control all windows in the VR-4, and the VR-4 control panel into the Viento can control all windows except the front passenger side.

What else could it be? Is there a seperate window relay unit somewhere under the dash? On my 7G E54A Galant the driver's door control panel contains all the relays and there is a heap more wiring going to the control panel than there is on the E39A VR-4 and E35A Viento.

Thanks guys!

Photo of car in question:

DSC01294.jpg

fivestardsm

You say you replaced the switch, which side did you do? The drivers control switch (all four) is usually the one to go bad, but its not actually the window switch, its the window lock out switch. Also, they both have to be good switches to work properly. What I mean is, the window that has the problem must be a good switch aswell the master switch must be in working order also.

There is a window relay, but I can not think of the placement of it right off hand.
Maybe some one with the FSM will beable to give you an Idea of the location.

Last edited:

Hertz

Staff member
I had a similar issue (up only) on the driver's window after doing a speaker installation. Turned out that I did not have the driver's window controls plug seated completely.

fuel

I've swapped over the driver's side control panel switches *AND* the front passenger side door switch from the VR-4, which I know are working in the VR-4 over to the Viento. The Viento door switch and driver's control panel operate all the windows in the VR-4 - so I feel I have safely eliminated the driver's door control panel *and* the front passenger door switch, and I have replaced the window regulator with a known good one which operates well when you apply 12V directly to the window motor.

mitsuturbo

The wiring between the door and chassis tends to break on cars this age. I have to unlock my passenger door to keep the factory alarm from going off sometimes, because a wire between the door and chassis is broken inside the insulation. I've repaired a couple of them in the past for window issues as the OP is experiencing. I need to go back in there on the driver side and fix another wire, apparently.

Try wiggling the harness between the hinges while you hold the switch for the window. If it's a broken wire in there, you'll probably know pretty quickly by doing this.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned