The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

power steering delete?

MitchooO

ok so i did a search or 3 and didnt find anything but i was thinking of not running power steering and finding a manual rack to put in my galant, i hate the space they take up in the engine bay and im willing to struggle and have a sacrifice of being rid of it completely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif ... i know the 4ws is comming out, but wondering if anyone has done this? or has thought about it and done a little more resarch?..thanks for the time!

MitchooO

CarRacer

I searched for +manual +rack and found a few threads that could be helpful.
Gvr4.org

Olson

For the guys that have done the delete. How do you guys feel with it and do you think it would be a wise deletion for a street/road race car.

324vr4

It's very stable at highway speeds. I like it a lot and it certainly freed up a lot of room in the engine bay. Speeds less than 2 mph tend to become an "arm-strong" moment but how often do you travel at such low speeds?! I think it's a good thing to do as long as you do it correctly.

Wizardawd

I have it in my galant and I loved it in my DSM. And a welded center makes even power steering a pain in the ass since the car doesn't like to do anything other than go forward or backwards. The extra turns lock-to-lock is both a plus and minus. But, don't forget that a manual rack car turns sharper than a power rack car. All the AWD cars have a very crappy steering radius.

And honestly, as long as you use a wheel with somewhere near the stock diameter, its very nice. Definately a much better feel for the road. That means all you mini-chain wheel guys should stick to power steering.

Wiz

BoostedAWD91

What is the difference with the rack brackets between the DSM and GVR4? Assuming you actually do need the DSM brackets to mount the DSM manual rack, they are NLA and hard to find so im told. Anyone know?

4Grim

I too have been debating on switching to a manual steering rack....just didn't get enough personal reviews on it and couldn't find a manual rack. Now I know you can use the ones off a 1.8 1g...I can get my hands on one easy.

496of2000

Quoting BoostedAWD91:
What is the difference with the rack brackets between the DSM and GVR4? Assuming you actually do need the DSM brackets to mount the DSM manual rack, they are NLA and hard to find so im told. Anyone know?

here are some old pix of a manual rack 1.8L vs. 4ws rack.

Driving on the freeway it's ok. Parking and low speed I can deal with as long as the car is moving you can turn the steering wheel. It's worthless for autocrossing. On clover leaf freeway turns as your speed increases through the turn steering effort incresaes. Parllel parking don't even try. On my vr-4 I have adjustable caster camber plates. The alignment shop adjusted the caster to zero degrees to help make the steering effort easy.

The manual rack brackets are the greasy ones.

Last edited:

BoostedAWD91

is it possible to use the GVR4 brackets on the manual racks? or just make them? They dont seem to much different, maybe just wider?

Not wider, just taller. You could possibly get away with using the originals if you retained the stock rubber mounts and kept a couple inches of hardline in there. Only reason I could see doing it is if your buying new/refurbished rack. If your getting a used one, grab the mounts while your at it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned