The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Powder coating valve cover

AuSpecVr4

Hey

I sent my Valve cover in today to get powder coated and was told that he cant help get powder underneath the cover. Will this matter at all or will it do any harm to my engine?

Barnes

Do not powder coat the underside of the valve cover!! Also, how is the original paint being removed from the valve cover? Do NOT sandblast the valve cover to remove the original paint unless you remove the baffle on the underside and clean it VERY well after sandblasting.

AuSpecVr4

Oh k, so in other words, i'll go pick it up and send it to someone who wont powder coat the bottom of the valve cover? I have to remove the paint myself tho with some paint stripper correct?

Barnes

Yes. Paint stripper is a very good option. It is messy, and a pain, but safer. Sandblasting the valve cover can leave sand inside the baffle. That sand can come loose and end up in your engine oil and ruin your bearings.

And yes, only powdercoat the portion of the valve cover on that will be on the outside. Anything that will be exposed to the inside of the engine should not be coated.

citymunky

use a high grid sandpaper (like 2000 of 3000 grid) to remove the spots powder coat under the cover, and than clean it good after you are done.

SouthCaliVR4

Best paint stripper I have found for items like this comes in an aerosol can & is called Tal-Strip. Its an aircraft paint stripper & works very well on aluminum. DO NOT GET IT ON YOU OR BREATHE THE STUFF!!!!

gmp

i second that such good stuff you can hear it cracking like rice crispys. Easy paint removal...

AuSpecVr4

Thanks guys, i am stripping back the home spray job as we speak with 3M paint stripper, this stuff really hurts when you get it on you. Will take some time but taking it to someone who specializes in painting valve covers so the bottom will be untouched by powder coat.

AnotherNewb

Dbossman is powdercoating fairly cheap. If you ask him nicely he may send you a pic of his white VC with black lettering.

brisvr4

Who are you taking it to?
Lewis and sons?

A little over spray here and there won't hurt anything if by chance some sneeks around the masking tape, but definitely wouldn't intentionaly coat it or anything. +1 to the aircraft stripper. Definitely the safest, most effective way to strip a VC. I also recomend it being tanked before coating. The oil can burn off and mix with your powder coat, especially lighter colors.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts