The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Possible future VR-4 owner

Hello my name is Greg and I am an avid mitsubishi enthusiast. I've always wanted a galant vr-4 ever since I first learned about them many years ago. I am looking into purchasing one and I am wondering what to look for and what common issues may arise with this car. I'm somewhat familiar with DSM's but I know these cars are a little different. I'm no stranger to tempermental mitsubishi's, I have a 1988 Chrysler Conquest I'm currently restoring/modifying. I've searched around a little bit but I'd like to here from experienced owners also. Help is much abliged! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mikus

if you can shop a DSM you already know what to look for, other than body of course.
- A good rust indicator on ours is behind the front fender dogleg where moisture gets trapped inside fender.
- Look for split in dash, visible looking into windshield, ps side.
- The front bumper reinforcement is often cut out if that matters to you.

Vr4junkie

Well I would check the Timing Belt, suspension,axles make sure the boots are good and not torn drive the car in a circle best way to tell if there good or bad you should here some clacking noise if there bad,

Also any leaks Boost leaks, oil leaks, check the 4ws lines.

See how well the tranny shifts 2nd gear sncryos go out on these car from what I heard.

I would also rent a compression tester to see how good the motor is.

I would ask as many questions as possible like when was the last time you gave it a tune up, performed a boost leak test, what kind of oil does it use,have the balance shafts been removed if not when was the last time the Balance Shaft belts were replaced etc...... you can usually tell if the car has been in good hand if he can Answer most your questions or he has no idea what a timing belt is and just head scratching trying to figure out what the hell your talking about.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts