The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Poor running car.

gvr4ever

I've had this problem for awhile now and I can't solve it. Runs like junk cold. Rich, hesitating, rough, etc.

Car has good compression (rebuilt head) cleaned and matched injectors and a injector noid light had confirmed the injectors are getting power. Car has tested another CAS, coil pack. Power is getting to the spark plugs and it has brand new plugs. No error codes, no boost leaks. Vacuum looks good on the boost gauge. Base timing and fuel pressure has been checked over and over again.

Any ideals?

Could a MAF fail without a CEL? Whatever the issue, it seems to be a fuel air ratio problem.

92_talon_awd

How are your temp readings (ECU, not gauge)? I had a coolant temp sensor go bad on my 1g, never set off a CEL but the car thought it was unbelievably cold, like arctic winter cold. Tried to richen it up like crazy.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

I'll have to fire up the logger and check that out. I hope its that simple.

92_talon_awd

When that was happening with my car, my new plugs would be crazy black within a few minutes. It was a pain in the butt to even get started and when it did start it ran very rough. I had just done a head gasket so it took a minute to figure out what was going on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif When I checked the voltage from the sensor and matched it up to what temp it corresponded to, it was something like -50 degrees.

Last edited:

prove_it

One thing to note is that the CEL diag is a really basic system. It really only looks for opens and shorts. It has no logic and doesn't think about the readings. So to answer your question about a failed MAF with no code, yes it can happen. Any OB1 system is pretty limited in its ability to detect issues. That's why a datalogger is really your best friend.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts