The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Pic request: Rear diff carrier

swe_gvr4_1991

Hi all!

I have a busted drivers side rear axle on my stock 3 bolt.
Is it possible to knock out the remaining stub with a long rod from the passenger side axle hole?

Can someone post a picture viewing straight thru the diff from axle hole to axle hole?

Vertically in this picture:

img.php

fuel

no you can't because the pinion is in the way. You'll have to remove the diff cover plate and pry it out from the inside, or remove the whole center entirely.

swe_gvr4_1991

Thanks for the reply Fuel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
That's what i thought. This is one of the few parts of the car i have not yet messed with.
Guess i will be dropping the whole diff.

prove_it

You can if you have something long and slim to slide past the center pin. A long flathead screwdriver might work.

swe_gvr4_1991

Yeah i was thinking of a barbeque stick made of steal or similar. But a pic speaks more than a thousand words. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Hope someone can snap a pic and post it. A flashlight at the opposite axle hole would be great to see if any light passes around the pinion.

LIV4PSI

I have a 4 bolt in my shop. I can take a pic tomorrow if that would help

Last edited:

swe_gvr4_1991

Anyone please? It's just one pic...
You can e-mail the pic to me if you're not able to upload it to a picture server.
Send it to gvr4(at)kaxlon.com

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LIV4PSI

Dude, it's only 1pm here. Give me some time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

gtluke

Misinformation in this thread. Pinion is NOT in the way, or the thing could never spin.
The hole is straight through on an LSD rear but it's blocked by the pin on an open rear. If your rear is stock, it's an open rear.

LIV4PSI

Okay, so taking a pic of mine is pointless then since it's an LSD and his isn't.

gtluke

Here's what the inside of an LSD rear end looks like, NO PIN, but this is NOT what came in your galant (unless you Swedes got gvr4's without ABS)
click

gtluke

Quoting LIV4PSI:
Okay, so taking a pic of mine is pointless then since it's an LSD and his isn't.

Well I just posted pictures of mine, he's got to tell us if he's got an LSD or not.

swe_gvr4_1991

Thanks all!

According to CAPS/ASA i have a standard open diff. I know 100% it has 3 bolt axles but i cannot make out what is written on the diff case coz of the accumulated dirt on it.

Well we didn't get the GVR4 here in Sweden we only did get the Galant GSX NT.
Mine is a import from Saudi Arabia when a person took it with them moving here.
It looks like a JDM GVR4 but is LHD.
This is what it looks like: Kim's GVR4

PS. I totally forgot about the time difference when making my last post.

gtluke

The pin is going to be in the way then. You might be able to get something bendy around it to knock it out though, as previously discussed. Good luck.

fuel

yours looks more like a USDM spec but with some JDM fender market lamps - it definitely has the USDM bumpers at least.

Whoodoo

Maybe they are SADM - Saudi Arabia Domestic Market? Nonetheless it looks just like 62 before the got crunched /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif maybe you could hook up some of us US boys with those sweet eterna grills...

Sorry to thread jack but I'm sure, pinion or not, a coat hanger with some clever bends could solve your problem unless there is something stuck.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts