The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

period correct aftermarket head units

Turbo4door1

I've got a ton of old school car audio gear. This head unit was the mac daddy back in the day. It has a MFG date on it of April 1995, so not quite old enough for what you are looking for - it does change colors though - LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I've got some old Pioneer gear, original Punch 150 amp, MTX crossover, some JBL 12" subs, and who knows what else hiding out in the totes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

marvinmadman

WOP FWIW I bought the one on eBay and they let me return it for a full refund.

Romanova

Quoting G:
98a2.jpg

Sorry to threadjack, but is that an AE86? Pics? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

turbowop

Quoting Turbo4door1:
I've got a ton of old school car audio gear. This head unit was the mac daddy back in the day. It has a MFG date on it of April 1995, so not quite old enough for what you are looking for - it does change colors though - LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I've got some old Pioneer gear, original Punch 150 amp, MTX crossover, some JBL 12" subs, and who knows what else hiding out in the totes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

That's exactly the timeframe I'm looking for...Had I found something like that, I would have bought it. Are you selling that one?

Last edited:

rdomeck

No one has mentioned anything from Nakamichi? Anything in the Dragon line? AV-1 and AV-2 receivers from Nackamichi? Or a Sony CDX-C90 or C910?

I bought a AV-2 very slightly used in 1993. I took me six months to pay for it, but it was well worth it.

I have had 2 C90's and they are awesome head units. 4 Burr Brown 24-bit DA converters, coper clad chassis, etc.. I put one in the VR4 when I first purchased it, but finally went with something I could bluetooth my iPhone to.

I went with a Pioneer DEH-80PRS. 3 Burr Brown 24-bit DA converters. There are a million different shades and colors with the display and you can fine tune it to be the color you want! The best modern head unit I have found.....A little pricey, but what isn't these days?

blacksheep

Naka was badass back in the day. I did want to mention it, but was lazy. Their quality nowadays is sub-par. I tried one of their headunits and failed quickly and I returned it. I love their no frills clean display - no ice blue riceness...

89Patches

I have a stock radio from a 2g I believe, doesn't have a CD player but you can play your Ipod through it. And matches the dash lights.
And I think you can get on with a CD player as well, but not 100% sure.

Here what it looks like,

Last edited:

BluFalcon

1954/2k came with a Blaupunkt Key Largo head unit when I bought it, and it stayed in there for the most part the entire time I had the car. Loved the way it looked, and it sounded pretty good too. I think this one was manufactured back in 1999 though.

That takes me back. S-AFC and white faced Autometer gauges. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I picked up a 92 Talon TSi from the original owner a few years back. He blew the headgasket and ended up storing the car for 8 years. When I picked it up, it still had the Alpine cd head unit he bought to replace the factory deck along with a 4 channel amp. I sold the car with the head unit, but I still have the amp. I figured on installing it in the GVR-4 one day. That Talon was a real time capsule. It had a Turbo Magazine license plate frame, OZ Monte Carlo rims, a 2.5 Borla Turboback exhaust in addition to the vintage audio equipment. I'd have kept it if i hadn't picked up my current GVR-4.

turbowop

Quoting 89Patches:
I have a stock radio from a 2g I believe, doesn't have a CD player but you can play your Ipod through it. And matches the dash lights.
And I think you can get on with a CD player as well, but not 100% sure.

Here what it looks like,

I have one of those and the stock CD player. I can't really hook them up to my amp via RCAs and I'd rather have a nice Alpine anyway.

BluFalcon

Quoting blacksheep:
^^^ and the AVC-R above it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Hey! At the time I loved that AVC-R. I even found one for my current GVR-4, which then got replaced with a Hallman because it liked to spike too much with my 3052. I even trimmed the ashtray cover and flush mounted the thing.

Last edited:

JNR

I have a Clarion Pro DRX9175L which is a period correct unit I guess and has all the bells and whistles of the era and was a pretty high end unit in its day. It has no internal amp but does have 3 preouts and fiber optic/digital output also + a remote control and dual illumination so you can match the green. I also am running a clarion 12 disc changer, phoenix gold amp and rockford fosgate passive EQ with Boston Acoustic speakers and 10" sub, so it rocks pretty good.

pulled off the net:

installed in #20:

JNR

Was never into the Sony stuff too much, but do remember they had a few nice head units. I was a big fan of the Pioneer higher end stuff as it was reasonable $ but still good. CD players in the late 80's and into the early 90's were damn expensive so I usually bought the tape player and still have some...Even kept my HiComp dual-dial Stereo-Tape that was pretty high tech for its day and pretty spendy too, lol. Wished I had put that one in my chevelle instead of cutting the dash, but what can ya do.

Older Kenwood stuff was good also, fwiw.

Unfortunately much of the new stuff from once good names (even alpine) is all china and so cheaply made (and the feel to go with it) I don't blame you for wanting to source something older. I mean there are some $$$ dual DIN units that are alright but don't belong so much in our cars IMO.

as a side note, I always wanted a parametric EQ with electronic display in my cars when I was younger but damn $$$. Now they have stereos with all this screen real estate and they don't use it for anything but stupid graphics moving about. What a letdown. I suppose you could now do something with an LCD screen for whatever you want along with cpu, but I'm talking a stereo and something that looks like it belongs.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
I'm pretty sure detachable face units came after the the pull outs.

JNR

They did. Pullouts were first...detachable faces not until early 90's

turbowop

I remember kids in high school walking around the hallway carrying their headunit around by the little carry handle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned