The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

PCV Valve Elimination

Nartanian

I'm try to figure out how I'd like to get an oil catch can routed. I have heard and seen different setups. If going with an AN fitting for ss lines do most delete the PCV valve and replace it with with the AN fitting? Any issues with deleting the pcv valve? Perhaps people with catch can setups can chime in. Thanks.

jepherz

Staff member
When you delete the PCV valve, and run both lines from the valve cover into a catch can, the issue is you aren't sucking out the vapors from the crank case. That's really the only issue.

Nartanian

So what would be the ideal route that would still keep the pcv valve and be able to vent enough crankcase pressure? Something like this?

Route.png

Muskrat

Ideal:

Keep the stock hose routing, just put a catch can in the middle of each.

So you'd have:

PCV valve > CC > IM

and

Crankcase Vent > CC > Intake Pipe (pre-turbo)

There are catch can's designed to accommodate this. I have one of these: click

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting Muskrat:
Ideal:

So you'd have:

PCV valve > CC > IM

and

This is the ideal setup, spot on.

Nartanian

That makes sense. Someone was selling a valve cover like in the diagram I drew, and to me it made no sense how I'd route that.

Last edited:

donkeylips

Don't forget the check valve between the pcv and catch can to keep boost pressure from entering your crankcase from the IM. The article posted above is great and it re-enforced most of what I already knew, but I guess I hadn't really thought about it hard enough to realize that fresh air needs to come in through the air filter and back into the VC. I had heard that you want a check valve to make sure that air only flows from the VC to the intake, but apparently this is wrong. The last diagram in that article shows a better alternative if you don't want air flowing in through your catch can.

And, for the valve cover with the two outlets on the side, one of the diagrams in the article shows that you can just run two hoses to a catch can with two inlets in an otherwise stock configuration. I would think that this would only be effective if you have two outlets going to 2 ports on your intake pipe.

Since all of this happens after the MAS, will running the stock-style setup cause problems when running speed density, since all of this occurs before the sensors?

guess i found a use for my NT valve cover with the PVC valve in a diff spot. good for catch can

Nartanian

Quoting Muskrat:
Ideal:

So you'd have:

PCV valve > CC > IM

and

I've tried emailing them and it's been a few days with no reply. Maybe they are very busy. Anyone got suggestions on sealed catch cans with baffles similar to Saikoumichi's?

Last edited:

For my setup, I ditched the pcv valve, tapped it for 1/8 pipe and blocked it. Same with the other outlet. Then I used -10 lines to a catch can with 1/2 line to the intake. I drilled and tapped for the -10 lines below the baffle in the valve cover which was a mistake as the lines can fill with oil rather quickly. My new valve cover will be tapped behind the baffle. But either way it cured my dipstick issues.

Nartanian

Since I didn't hear from Saikou Michi I did some more searching and finally came upon a well filtered catch can. It's the TTC Performance Billet cans. They seems to have a solid filter setup and offer a few different colors. They are on sale right now as well. I got a chance to talk to the owner and he even extend another small discount since I expained to him I needed 2 of them TTC Catch Can *not my pics*

Catchcan.jpg

Catchcan1.jpg

Catchcan2.jpg

Catchcan5.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts