The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

parking brake lever does literally nothing - replace cables?

yubh8tn

My parking brake doesn't do anything, really. It hasn't worked since I got the car. It jiggles up and down but no mechanisms actually engage, and I'm scared to force it up higher. Do I just need to replace my cables to get my parking brake to work? Other threads I've read are pointing me towards replacing the cables, but I don't understand the mechanism and the FSM doesn't really help.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

My cable broke at the back brake. I guess you could check that. The center console just lifts up, and you can see the whole e-brake cable and adjustment. It's also possible, you just need to tighten it, if the cables aren't broken.

turbofonz

Check the rear calipers, they have a big spring on them - have someone pull the ebrake handle and see if the lever those attach to move at all - likely seized up by the sounds of it

yubh8tn

Fonz, what's seized up? Those springs?

for more information, when I move my lever, it is completely loose and floppy until 2 clicks in the ratcheting mechanism, then it gets extremely hard to pull any further. Those springs on the calipers might be stuck, causing this?

Last edited:

mooserage

Staff member
If you are pulling it up and there is no resistance and then suddenly a lot of resistance, its likely the rear caliper mechanism is frozen. When working correctly you can move the little e-brake arm with your hand. It has resistance from a spring which often seizes with corrosion, but the interior mechanism of the brake piston also often freezes. Search for the guide on rebuilding rear brake calipers on dsmtuners and you'll see a good explanation and pictures of the mechanism.

That said I had both a rear caliper freeze and 2 frozen cables at different times, so it could be a few things.

I'd still check under the console. You can actually access it but opening the console lid and gently lifting out the inside felt interior of the console. Underneath you can see the cable and adjust for the e brake. See if it's pulling the cables, if one is moving and not the other, could be only one side is the issue.

turbofonz

Quoting yubh8tn:
Fonz, what's seized up? Those springs?

for more information, when I move my lever, it is completely loose and floppy until 2 clicks in the ratcheting mechanism, then it gets extremely hard to pull any further. Those springs on the calipers might be stuck, causing this?

I didn't specific , but also didnt think it over completely. If the cables are free and springs aren't, you should see the cable move a smidge before the spring prevents it from moving. IF the cables are seized, you likely wont see anything moving. A good working system you should see the cables pull the lever and the lever move, which causes the caliper piston to come out.

Also, put the rear tires in the air and pull the ebrake and verify that both sides are doing something, or nothing at all. Try spinning the wheels by hand with the ebrake up. I've seen many times where one side (cable or caliper) is seized, so there is more slack in the lever because only 1 side is taking up all the slack. It's all just checking the it verifying

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Second or third the comments made already. Verify function of the rear calipers, those rotating levers tend to seize the pistons if not used regularly. If they are good, pull out the center console inner and adjust the cables. Most cars need a bit of this every twenty (or thirty) years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

yubh8tn

When I pull the cables, the springed levers don't move at all, but I can move them a bit by hand, so that means cables.

Is there a way to free the cables without replacing them? Or is that my only choice?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Tough to say. You can try penetrant, but if they are rusted in the sheath, it may be impossible. Likely you have to take them off the car and use gravity assist to get the penetrant in there.

yubh8tn

Alright, thanks everybody who helped. Rockauto has new cables for us, $25 a side, so I'll do that when I rebuild the rear hubs and calipers. Hopefully I can soak the cables enough in the meantime to break them free...

boostme

The cables are currently unavailable and I'm not sure if they are discontinued. Been needing some myself.

raptorWagon

Quoting yubh8tn:
Alright, thanks everybody who helped. Rockauto has new cables for us, $25 a side, so I'll do that when I rebuild the rear hubs and calipers. Hopefully I can soak the cables enough in the meantime to break them free...

its actually misleading on Rockauto, as when you try to add the cables to the cart, it will alert you that they are unavailable.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts