The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Palm solutions

gvr4ever

Does anyone still log? I was attempting to install the palm desktop on Wine in Ubuntu, but it failed in XP compatibility. The install seems to want a real Win 98, XP, 2000.

What are you guys using?

yubh8tn

I haven't an idea of what program you're talking about, but I assume you're somewhat computer-savvy if you're on Ubuntu. I have used Oracle Virtualbox (download is pretty far down the page) in the past. If you install Windows 98, XP, or 2000 onto a Virtual Machine using Virtualbox you can use that operating system to run anything. It's kinda like a computer inside a computer if you're not familiar. It requires a bit of processing power though. Only idea I had for you, hope it helps

gvr4ever

I haven't an idea of what program you're talking about, but I assume you're somewhat computer-savvy if you're on Ubuntu. I have used Oracle Virtualbox (download is pretty far down the page) in the past. If you install Windows 98, XP, or 2000 onto a Virtual Machine using Virtualbox you can use that operating system to run anything. It's kinda like a computer inside a computer if you're not familiar. It requires a bit of processing power though. Only idea I had for you, hope it helps

Ya, another friend suggested that and I'm attempting it now. Found a XP ISO on archive.org and Virtualbox was easy to install.

Palm desktop was a way to sync software to a Palm device, like the data logger software. It did more than that. It synced contacts, calendar, etc so it was backed up on a desktop. Mine is an older ones and I can't believe it booted up, but the OS seems to be on a ROM and any extra software or memory goes away if the batteries die. Mine is a older Palm IIIxe. Later versions had charging options (although I'd imagine the battery would be dead by now) and color.

Last challenge is to get a serial to USB cable working. With Ubuntu.

yubh8tn

This may be helpful, i didnt look through it very much though. Looks like it eliminates the need for virtualization and teaches you how to use the serial cable on linux

Dan D

Does anyone still log? I was attempting to install the palm desktop on Wine in Ubuntu, but it failed in XP compatibility. The install seems to want a real Win 98, XP, 2000.

What are you guys using?
When my palm died, I got Tunerpro to work with a USB/serial adapter. Does fine. I was already using it for tuning with an Ostrich so it made sense + =free

gvr4ever

Update.

Virtual Box and a XP ISO seems to work. Still have to do the USB to Serial cable, but so far, so good. I had looked into a simulator. https://palmdb.net/app/palm-emulator. It seems to be made for vintage fun creating and testing apps. I was worried it wouldn't actually communicate with the cable that plugs into diagnostics. I had bought the pocket logger software many moons ago. I know a free version was out at one point, but never messed with it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts