The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Painting Engine Bay and Trunk Questions

gvr41190

I finally have my engine bay and trunk ready to paint. This will be the second time for the trunk since my first attempt had a few issues.

For those of you that do/have done body work, what are the best products and process to use for a quality budget job? While I understand that quality and budget don't really go together, any advice would be helpful. I'm really hoping to avoid $500+ on 2k products that I have no experience with. I'm also hoping to avoid a finish that scratches really easily or is overly sensitive to the inevitable stray shot of brake cleaner, etc.

Thanks!

Noobsauce

Paint store should have epoxy primer in a can that's a two part built in... Exelent stuff. Then you can get econo paint mixed and put in cans. Best way without a spray gun. Might want to ask them if they can do a poly two part paint in a can. Probly going to be the most durable.

rdomeck

I use PPG products in my business. I have a full PPG paint mixing station. I like to use epoxy primer over bare metal, but it's not necessary for what your wanting to do. I would assume that you going with the same color? If you are, that's one more reason not to prime it. You can get decent paint products at a decent price. If I'm going budget I will get DelFleet Essentials. It is a PPG product, but used in the industrial coatings industry! Scrub the area down with water and Ajax cleanser. Make sure that there is not any oil left. Also if this is a daily driver why paint the trunk? It gets covered! If your ever near Indy stop by my shop and I can explain in better detail.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned