The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Paint or powdercoat calipers?

blacksheep

Has anyone painted their calipers with the brush-on stuff or spray on? Does it hold up and look professional?

I found a vendor who offers re-built powdercoated calipers for 330 for the fronts and about same for the rear and less if I sent mine in. Hard part is I don't know how I will keep the lines from draining when I take mine off and send it in. I don't want to bench bleed the master. I screwed up on my integra once and it was an awful experience.

Now I can also just buy remans from rock auto and paint them myself, but I don't know if this caliper paint will hold up. I could get coated locally, but I think I would have to completely disassemble to do that and pointless buying a reman one for that. Also, I have not re-built calipers and am frankly nervous about my skills.

I won't be painting them ricey red, just silver or black is what I planned.

Thanks!

prove_it

Do not plan on taking the calipers apart. rebuilding calipers (especially dual pistons) is not for the faint of heart. You need to know what your doing to get the seals and boots in right. The rears are even more fun as the parking brake is incorporated. As for paint, I can't help you there.

QnzMostWanted

the caliper paint they sell holds up pretty well, on my last car it held for 9 years before i sold the car, so i'd say u shouldnt have a problem, and these were sprayed on , not brushed

blacksheep

Thanks for the feedback, I watched this jafro video - makes it look easy why I considered it even...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4_lE8Dmeqw

EHmotorsports

Just make sure you clean them spotless and degrease them good. Any dust,grime or oils will make the paint flake off.

4Grim

The calipers on my GVR4 were brushed painted with that caliper paint kit from Advanced Auto. Still holding up and still has that shiny luster to it.

EHmotorsports

And after they are painted. Never use wheel cleaner with acids in it. Or castrol super clean. It will dull the glossiness.

Romanova

I got 4 rebuilt calipers from Centric from Rock Auto... very impressed with them. If that matters lol

G

Staff member
Or brake parts cleaner.

blacksheep

Quoting Romanova:
I got 4 rebuilt calipers from Centric from Rock Auto... very impressed with them. If that matters lol

5.0 - that's what I am looking at buying and painting, brah!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I actually painted one front caliper with Rustoleum and powdercoated one as a test. Both lost paint on the back sides where the actual fluid is housed in the caliper, likely because of the heat. I have never tried the caliper paint but probably will next time.

matt92vr4

I've had good success with the spray on paint. Bad results with the brush

89Mirageman

I took my calipers apart (not the seals and dust boots though) and wirebrushed them really well. Then I painted them with cast grey duplicolor engine paint. They look new and are holding up great.

There is a very brief "how-to" in my summit wagon build thread. Maybe it'll help. click

Last edited:

kama1

I used regular silver spray paint on the blue amg,its been 3 years,its dirty now but didnt flake or peel.
Just cleaned the caliper with soap, taped over the dust boots and sprayed.

blacksheep

Quoting 89Mirageman:
I took my calipers apart (not the seals and dust boots though) and wirebrushed them really well. Then I painted them with cast grey duplicolor engine paint. They look new and are holding up great.

There is a very brief "how-to" in my summit wagon build thread. Maybe it'll help. click

Thanks, but link does not work for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

PJGross

On my Impala SS I used the spray on caliper paint in red and it lasted 8 winters in Michigan. After having the V with Brembos I would never paint cast iron calipers any color but black or silver but anyway, the spray on paint worked. I wire brushed and toothbrushed with brake cleaner, then mineral spirits. I took them off and plugged the line with a rubber cork shaped stopper while painting. Minimal fluid loss, didn't lose the master cyl.

-PJ

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts