The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Over heating problem with 197/1000

Hello again ......just did timing belt...head gasket...water pump....etc...before all this work the car was overheating......now that this maintanence was done the car keeps doing it!!! thermostat was changed....fans work properctly...and the cylinder head was checked for any damages and came out fresh.......i notice that the car start to overheat under boost!!!! now is this normal or am i having a problem????? also when i turn the a/c on ......the car starts to overheat...any ideas from the experts???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Well turning the AC on just inherently makes a can run hotter. There is nothing wrong with that.

What kind of temps are you seeing? is like boiling out of the radiator type of overheating?

The fact that you are overheating under boost mainly points toward a improperly torqued head. If the torque spec is too far off then the head will actually lift up off the block enough for coolant to get where it shouldn't be and cause some problems. What did you torque your head studs to? Have you re-torqued it again since it has run?

This is fairly obvious, but ill ask anyway. You did put in a 50/50 mix of coolant and water, and not just straight coolant right?

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Did you have the block checked?

Yes we did check the block and it looked fine....wee didint see anything wrong with it .......

im told the head was torque down to 95lbs.......we did mix the water and the coolant.........the temp goes like 3/4.........then it drops to normal like 3 o 5 mins after boost ..........

Barnes

So you are going off the gauge on the dash? Do you have a datalogger that gives actual temps? The stock dash gauge is basically useless in telling you if you are 'overheating'. You need actual temperature readings. You might not be overheating at all.

check your oil and your coolant and see if they are mixing at all. That will eliminate the head gasket as a problem. Then if that is fine I would guess that it is just leaning out as you boost. How is it being tuned?

Also, maybe try lowering the boost some and seeing if it gets any better.

dsm link tuned.........but i think that i should get it tuned again ....last time it was tuned i think it was like 3 yrs ago....

nickbuilt

195-200 degrees max 210 is pushing it!

-nick

p.s. your boost is too high (26psi on 93octane on a 60 trim turbo) i have told you many times to lower it down thats probably your problem!

Last edited:

speedyvr4

turning down the boost is definatly a good idea. is the thermostat opening right? I get new thermostat at the shop that fail new all the time ? did you do a pressure test on the cooling system? has the timing beeen triple checked? a/f ratios? justt throwing ideasout there?

Barnes

Quoting BarnesMobile:
You need actual temperature readings.

Quoting BarnesMobile:

Quoting BarnesMobile:

Quoting BarnesMobile:

Quoting BarnesMobile:

Quoting BarnesMobile:

Quoting BarnesMobile:

Quoting BarnesMobile:

Quoting BarnesMobile:

Quoting BarnesMobile:

Quoting BarnesMobile:

Quoting BarnesMobile:

yeah the thermostat i replaced twice ..but the timing and pressure test will be done and hopefully stop this issue....thanks evryone for the help and advice..........

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts