The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Opinions on Suspension Tech rear sway bar kit?

LIV4PSI

I plan on upgrading my rear sway bar, not only for corners but to help with 60ft times. While checking pricing on the 26mm Whiteline bar, I came across the ST kit on JNZ's site. The pros are its $50 cheaper, comes with adj endlinks, and it also comes with a subframe brace. So consider the price difference and extra goodies, I'm surprised its not more popular. Thoughts?

JNZ link

Brunoboy

Try Ultra Racing bars, they have full sway bars and fender brace and such for our car

LIV4PSI

I swapped to a full DSM rear subframe, when I did my. 4 bolt swap, so I don't need anything VR4 specific. Those UR bars are expensive as well

Street Surgeon

I bought a ST front and rear swaybar kit, the front is garbage and has to be used with the stock bar!

Last edited:

prove_it

My ST rear 25mm bar fit perfect. Handles great, it's non adjustable which is the only negative.

LIV4PSI

Street Surgeon, was it because of 4WS it won't fit right?

Prove it, I believe the link said it comes with adjustable end links now

Street Surgeon

Actually I made a mistake (which I will try to edit in a minute here...), it was actually the front bar that is a complete PITA, their front bar (I bought the front and rear set) actually works WITH your stocker so you end up with two front bars and you have to use a set of special brackets and modify things etc. etc. The back I didn't put in yet as I am removing the AWS rear and installing a 4-bolt.

Here's something fun, try looking up instructions on their site on how to install these /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif *hint* they don't exist..... ANYWHERE..... Not even in the box. Not that you should need a set of instructions to install a swaybar right? Wrong, ya do if it's the front one! Want to buy my set? I never even put them on the car I just took them out of the box and after I saw the mess decided to go whiteline.

prove_it

I meant that the bar is not adjustable.

EMX5636

I've had the ST bar in my car for probably 6 years. Works and fits well. It does help dial some understeer out, but it's still not neutral or tail happy. Mine didn't come with the brace though, must be a new addition, and not quite sure where it would go? That looks like a generic picture.

LIV4PSI

Street Surgeon, I would consider buying the rear bar. For my car, I don't need the front. The rear is $200 shipped from JNZ, and comes with endlinks and the extra brace

Prove, wouldn't adjustable endlinks accomplish the same thing as an adjustable bar?

EMX, good to know that you have one and like it. I actually checked some members gallery threads on cars I felt were well built, to see if anyone was running one. Your thread was one of the ones I looked at, it's not listed though. As for the extra brace, I will just ask JNZ. Regardless, for the $50 difference and including the end links, it's looking like a winner to me

EMX5636

Added, thanks! The biggest PITA with it, is getting the bolts started for the hold-down clamps. I'm sure the Whiteline/others is the same deal. It's a lot of bar/poly bushing to shove between the factory bolt holes.

prove_it

Quoting LIV4PSI:

Prove, wouldn't adjustable endlinks accomplish the same thing as an adjustable bar?

No, an adjustable bar actually changes the spring rate of the bar by using different attachment points, adjustable links only adjust the bar angle on install.

tektic

So I was looking for instruction like mentioned above and did find some, but they are so old that the image liknks we're all dead. Can anyone post a picture of the st bars installed to give me an idea of what I'm doing?

kumfasa

I just installed my whiteline 26mm bar last week and had all the known issues and perhaps one more.

I ground the slots on the bar mounting brackets and changed hardware to hex cap screws with D shaped washers in order to fit the brackets to the factory mounting position.
The clearance between the end of the bar and the rear trailing arm/hub was insufficient so I had to grind the top corners down to stop it contacting there. I dont think this is a big issue but reflect sloppy/cheap manufacturing.

I don't want to us the word bent, but my bar was crooked. When I sat it on a flat surface the right side of the bar sat flat against the surface and the left side of the bar was 20mm above the flat surface. (workbench and concrete garage floor)

When I installed the new mevotech endlinks I cut one of the bushings in half and spaced them differently in order to compensate for the 20mm difference and remove any preload on the bar. You can see it in the first picture above.

So not all that good from whiteline, but what I will say is that a 26mm bar in the middle stiffness setting did help the under steer a bit but as mentioned above it certainly did not make the car neutral or tail happy. So i wonder if the 25mm bar would be worth it. I am thinking I will change my endlink location to the stiffest setting soon.

pagosadsm

I have a SP 1" bar on my 92 Talon. I made it adjustable and also mounted it to my trailing arms. I have tubular rear control top and bottom. All suspension is steel bushings or heim joints
Rick

tektic

25mm is still bigger than 19mm I'm not sure how the adjustability is gauged, but maybe it's more aggressively spaced than the middle hole on the white line. I can only hope right. Did you have to drop the subframe?

I still would like a picture of the front one installed. There's some weird hardware in the box and its got me scratching my head.

EMX5636

I had the front bar installed in my DSM. I took it out because they understeer enough from the factory. I have only been using an aftermarket rear bar since then. I'll see if I can find a picture. As mentioned though, it does go underneath the front subframe, and parallels the stock bar.

Also, in regards to the Whiteline adjustable rear bar. I've seen many instances where using the stiffest and softest setting breaks endlinks because of their extreme angle. The middle one seems to be the only real option.

Another side note I learned while searching suspension parts for my Caddy. ST is owned by KW. So I wouldn't be concerned with quality.

Last edited:

kumfasa

While I haven't tried the other two adjustment holes it certainly looks like the end links will be at a pretty steep angle with the whiteline bar. That was the reason I chose the middle setting initially.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts