The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

opinions on mufflers

Tre3zy

looking to replace my electronic cut-outs back to a 3" turbo back again... need some opinions on mufflers... what you guys running and how you like it... i want to get a legit one that fits the car well... none of those gay angled fart cans... thnx

-Triz

turbowop

This is what I have on 1051. Stainless 3" in, dual 2.5" out. Oval body tucks up under the car nicely so you can't see it from the side. Sounds good too.

Tre3zy

wow thats way cheaper than the one i was looking at... im a bit worried on the dual tips... there kind of too apart... you think it will clear the usdm bumper if i add tips to it???

turbowop

I think the pic they use is a bit generic. They don't look that far apart on the actual muffler.

Mine with square tips barely fits in the JDM bumper cutout. Should fit a USDM bumper easily...

944a90561cbf04f.jpg

turbofonz

Dynomax Ultraflo is the best sounding on these motors, IMO, and many others. You will have to figure out some tip situation though.

I'm also a fan of the Vibrant stealth mufflers, they look great and have a good sound.

ade

im a big fan of borla mufflers, any vr's out there with a borla setup?

vtecds1

I have a straight thru, round body style Magnaflow muffler. 3" in/out with a 4" tip. Sounds decent...not too loud and has a nice tone to it. Imo, the best sounding would be the old school ATR exhaust system with their Pitbull muffler. Unfortunately they dont make it anymore.

turbowop

Quoting turbofonz:
Dynomax Ultraflo is the best sounding on these motors, IMO, and many others. You will have to figure out some tip situation though.

I had a Dynomax on the car before this Magnaflow. They sound exactly the same. Zero difference. Although I will say I like the construction of the Magnaflow much better. It's welded together instead of crimped.

PreskitVR4

I am running dual magnaflow 3" in/out, one under the car near the factory cat location with a 6" body, and a 7" body in the stock muffler location. Super quiet, good since I have to start my car @ 2am for work some mornings. Excellent contrast when the 38mm Tial opens to atmosphere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ApexHunter

Chalk another one up for the Magnaflow oval. It does hide nicely up there. I painted the canister black. Polished dual round slash cut tips. Looks pretty good although i need to adjust the hanger cause it's hanging a bit cockeyed right now. I have to say it sounds great. Smooth, subdued and deep part throttle but sounds wild and pissed when you add boost and revs. This is a 3" turboback with a HFC and no resonator. You can hear it during part throttle cruising but it's not loud, and i never find it annoying. When it comes to exhaust sound, loud is certainly a relative term. My car is not loud in my opinion. If i could adjust the volume as easily as you would on a stereo, i'd turn it up slightly. The thing is, it's actually perfect where its at for the street.

Jason G.

Quoting vtecds1:
Imo, the best sounding would be the old school ATR exhaust system with their Pitbull muffler. Unfortunately they dont make it anymore.

That was a good one, had one years ago. I ran into a guy here at work that used to weld at their shop.

vtecds1

Doing a little surfing...I found a site that sells the muffler. I'm debating now if I should go ahead and ditch my current one. But at $140 w/out a tip...its a little pricey.

Chicago1

Quoting turbowop:
This is what I have on 1051. Stainless 3" in, dual 2.5" out. Oval body tucks up under the car nicely so you can't see it from the side. Sounds good too.

That's what I had on my 1g Talon by far the best sounding muffler for a 4g63 IMO. Very deep and throaty and could hear that turbo whistle at any rpm's. That's what I want to change #86 so another vote for that one.

turbofonz

Also do you want louder or quieter? You will want an oval muffler if you're looking for quieter.

Tre3zy

i want it on the quite side... i might go with the vibrant stealth one...

turbofonz

Do it, I love the look of the single slash cut tip on it.

Vr4junkie

I had a Borla muffler on a SR20 before and that thing sounded amazing for the price idle was deep and throaty not annoying loud were your going 25mph and your car sound like its having a fart attack but sounded mean at WOT i'm pretty sure it'll sound nice on a 4G63

James

ApexiN1 all day. Now sure how it fits on a galant, but that's what I've had on just about all my TELs.

And on my supercharged cobalt I had a Corsa cat back and muffler, that thing sounded like sex. Not sure if it was the muffler or muffler+car combo.

Last edited:

desant78

think it's possible to post vids of set ups and mufflers? I can look up the suggested mufflers on youtube, but if anyone has already uploaded videos, I think it'd be pretty beneficial to have a sound clip.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts