The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil Oil Everywhere!

Dan D

I've had a bit of an oil leak for that I couldn't track down the last two oil changes. Last night I cleaned everything up really well and changed the oil. Took the car for a drive with no problems. Checked for leaks, nothing to be seen.

I drive to work, no drips in the garage. I come home at lunch time and when i leave, there'a puddle. I got underneath this evening and found oil on just about everything - axle, control arm, side of the pan, front cover. The oil filter was tight and clean and the drain plug was leak free. Dipstick was in place.

I popped the timing belt cover off and there is a very light film of oil on the inside edge of the belt.

Did I blow out an oil seal? 192K miles says maybe? Any thoughts on what to check before I start tearing things apart?

Talk about bad timing - 3 weeks before my first born is due /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

gvr4ever

192K. Probably a cam seal or main crank seal. Check the valve cover first.

turbowop

I'm doing a timing belt on 503 right now because the oil pump sprocket seal started leaking and got oil on the inside edge of it. I'm replacing the timing belt which is fairly new already /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif , that seal, and also the main crank seal as well. My cam seals were fine. Pull the timing belt cover off and see where it's leaking.

ktmrider

Mine had a similar issue, thought it was the front main or oil pump gear.
Got the cover off, turns out the engine builder did not use loctite or thread sealant on any of the oil pump or timing component bolts. Many came off by hand! Symptoms were like yours, small leak developed into a big one, but your mileage does point to the seals first.
Like mentioned pull the cover and belt. Might as well change the timing components while you're at it.
GL with the leak and newborn!

Woody

I would lean more to the cam seals, or try pouring some engine dye in and look where its coming from.Gl

turbowop

I finished up my timing belt and seal replacement on 503 tonight. The old crankshaft and oil pump seals practically fell out when I touched them with a screwdriver to pry them out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

The crank seal looked okay, but came out way too easy. The oil pump sprocket actually had oil flung around the inside of the back of it, so I'm guessing that's where my leak was. They must've been the original seals with 180k on them, as they were pretty crusty. Car is back together and driving...no leaks yet.

Dan D

I looked a little closer today. Most of the oil is concentrated at the edge of the lower timing cover. The top of the motor is clean on that side so I'm pretty certain I've lost a seal. I was about to start taking off pulleys and belts when I started thinking.

The motor's got 192k miles
It's due for timing belt change in roughly 10k miles
I've got a new clutch waiting to go in because the current one slips on takeoff if I'm not careful
Compression has been a little low in cyl #2 for 50k miles
Needs valve stem seals (and possible new valve guides)
The oil pressure runs a little below average and has for 60k miles
Still has balance shafts
Has 192k miles

I think I'm going to begin taking things apart to pull the motor out. It is time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

What shall the future hold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts