The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil leak in timing belt area

jepherz

Staff member
Alright 4g63 experts, I have a car that I recently pulled the balance shafts out of. After about 6k miles it started consuming oil to the point where it was going through about 1 qt every few hundred miles which equated to a steady drip at least once every few seconds when the car was stopped after a decent drive. I pulled the timing components back off and found the timing belt covered in oil. It appears that the oil is coming from somewhere around the auto tensioner.

Is there a bolt I needed to seal with rtv somewhere in that area or any idea where else it could be coming from?

Andy_S

Did you put a short bolt in where the balance shaft belt pulley was? Without that hole plugged, it would leak a ton.

Last edited:

Andy_S

Could be the front main seal. I've had bad luck with those and they would leak at a similar rate to what you described. When mine leaked, my t-belt would be drenched in engine oil.

jepherz

Staff member
Yeah, I replaced that with a new one though and there are traces of oil much higher up on the block.

boostedinaz

Oddly enough I have a buddy with the same problem. We took it down to just the front case with no timing components and spun the oil pump over with a drill. It came from right under the water pump. He plans on taking the front case off this weekend to see what the deal it. My guess it either a torn gasket or a cracked front case.

jepherz

Staff member
I wish I had thought to do that before I pulled the pan and drained the oil. I noticed that the oil pan flange is a little bent over on the oil pump side, so I'm wondering if it just started to leak and somehow got sucked UP into the timing belt cover?

H05TYL

If oil gets onto the belt it will be carried (and flung) pretty much all over the show.

I had a leaking cam seal and it took ages to track down where the damn stuff was actually coming from

One of the motor mount bolts is a wet bolt.

The easiest way to find the leak is to pull the timing covers off, leave the accessory pulleys off, and start the engine. If you start with a cold engine you will have about 5 minutes before the temperature starts to creep up.

Good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts