The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil feed line

LordAthey

As i got everything done on my galant (putting new clean head on) I go to put the oil line back on (I haven't removed it since i owned the car). Well by my suprise the person who had owned the car before me cross threaded the bolt in there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. So when i tried to put the bolt in it would tighten down at all. So when i pulled the bolt out all the threads came with it. I am really &*^%ed and im out of ideas. Should I use a tap set? plugged the head off and reroute the oil line? Try to find a longer bolt? Im so stumped on this one any advice could really help me out. This is the last thing i got to tackle to get my car running.

LordAthey

or i was thinking about routing it through my oil cooler?? I was coming up with ideas cause im really stumped on this one

raptorWagon

So you're talking about on the turbo side? If it is, I believe that is the only hole on the turbo to feed the oil into, the other two are water cooling lines. You could try tapping new threads, but then you also need to becareful about getting any metal shavings you create, out of the turbo once you're done. Though what you just said about thinking about trying to feed the turbo from a oil cooler, does this mean that the head you just put on is stripped? It doesn't take much effort to strip aluminum. That could be a problem for trying to retap threads and maintaining the proper seal.

Through the oil cooler? In stock form we have a sandwich style cooler, which means the oil cooler is built into the oil filter housing (sandwiched between the filter and the housing). If you ran it from there you would need a restrictor for the oil feed line. Anyone correct me on this, but the 1G dsms/GVR4s ran the feed line from the head because of the lower pressure vs the higher pressure that comes straight out of the filter housing requiring a restrictor valve.

insane92

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the head side being stripped, since it's a common problem. That's happened to me before as well. I just bought a new oil feed line that goes from the ofh, never had any problems.

LordAthey

Yea its on the head side its completely stripped out. so im going to try to buy a fitting put in there and run a hose from the fitting to the turbo oil line cause the threads in the back are still good. But any other sugguestions are appricated.

When that happened to me, I bought a oil feed line from forced performance that relocates the feed from the head to the oil filter housing. I then used a 1/8" npt pipe plug to block off the hole, which required tapping head to accept the plug. Or you can find a longer bolt with the same threads (I believe it is 10mm x 1.5 pitch) and use some silicone sealer on the threads. If you do decide to retap the head, dip the tap in a heavy grease like wheel bearing grease before you start to tap the hole. The grease will capture the majority if not all of the shavings so that you don't end up with those shavings inside an oil galley or potentially blocking a supply hole to a cam journal or lifter etc.

LordAthey

Well what i ended up doing was going to the hardware store and got a longer bolt. Then i drill the center out and then a hole through the middle for the oil to run. Put two gaskets on it and it bolted right up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned