The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil cooler/turbo coolant lines.

boostedinaz

I have been wrapping up the motor for 1101 and ran into a problem. I got the hard lines for the coolant put on and was getting ready to install the new rubber lines but it looks like I am missing a nipples someplace. I have searched here and on Tuners but can't find a pic or a good description of how these lines are supposed be routed.

Here is a pic of what I am working with. I know the nipple of the tstat housing goes to the upper nipples (rear coolant line for the turbo) but the other line appears to have no where to go. Anyone have a picture of a stock Galant that shows how the lines are routed? Perhaps I need another Tstat housing.

Barnes

It appears that you have a N/A thermostat housing, or a '90 thermostat housing. You need a different thermostat housing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

boostedinaz

Thought that might be the case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

broxma

If your water cross pipe into the water pump had the lower water line you could cut it down, flare it and attach a rubber line to that, and run the return back to the T-stat housing. That's how I did it.

/brox

dsmless

in your picture it shows that the plug were it had 2 vacumn nipples for emissions is broken off, so just take it off I think its a 18mm not sure, go to ace hardware and get a brass nipple fitting with the same thread/pitch, will run you like 5 bucks, its what i did with most of my lines

vapid

I believe the threads there are 3/8" BSPT. Just re-tap it, and run a 3/8" NPT nipple out of there, you'll be fine.

Last edited:

boostedinaz

I've got another Tstat housing on its way. If all else fails I will toss another bung on in existing hole and run it.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Barnes

Quoting broxma:
If your water cross pipe into the water pump had the lower water line you could cut it down, flare it and attach a rubber line to that, and run the return back to the T-stat housing. That's how I did it.

/brox

But doesn't that port serve as the coolant return from the OEM sandwich oil cooler which I believe he is running?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned