The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ohlins coilover kits now available for VR-4 and 1g AWD

383mazda

How do these coil overs (or ones from Evo's adapted over) compare to KYB/H&R setup? My car came with adjustable KYB's and H&R springs, and it's a bit bouncy...

GSTwithPSI

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Let's just say if there was a worst and best suspension setup for the Galant VR-4, Ohlins would be the best and KYB + any lowering spring would be the worst.

I think the only other suspension in the Ohlins category would be Hotbits.

In contrast, the only other suspension setup worse than KYB adjustables w/ lowering springs is nothing...To include stock suspension.

Last edited:

ApexHunter

For the longest time, i've been a big advocate for the HotBits. I went for a brief ride in 674/1000 and they felt pretty damn good. However i'm not entirely certain that a current production kit would be on the level with the Ohlins R&T, which i think are the model in question here?

I recently spoke with someone who has done some tuning and servicing on the HBs. I was kind of gushing over them, and explaining that they had been long regarded as the best, if not one of the best, GVR4 specific kits. Their experience was that while they are a fantastic product, they don't always come out of the box "perfect".

I think that we can be fairly certain that Ohlins are going to be about the best GVR4 specific kit that money can buy. I'd love to have some data comparing a HB DT1 kit to a R&T kit.

Last edited:

Olson

If you search Larrys name i think he had dyno data on the forum

ApexHunter

I do recall that Larry had dyno data for them. Found: click

And i saw my buddy the other day, and asked about the deal with the HotBits. It was not a tuning issue that he was having with them. I wonder if Larry is still doing these and how his recent experience has been.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting pot:
Just to share with the group, I contacted Muellerized Suspension Systems two weeks ago and they still offer the Ohlins Coilover system adapted to our platform. It is pricey but then again you obviously get what you pay for. They do have to acquire a galant to ensure fitting/settings are to the clients specifications but again, it is a product that's available for our platform.

Like the ETS intercooler kit, I don't want this option to pass in the future so I will be purchasing this system very very soon and will gladly report back on my experience.

Pot, mind sharing how much a set of Ohlins would set me back? Also, how did you get them to spec out your set? I assume you didn't take your Galant to them?

KiNgMaRtY

click

Description: Muellerized Ohlins Coilovers adapted for Eclipse/Talon/Laser with John's custom specifications. We setup/tune each suspension to match each individual customer's application. Installation not included. Additional hardware required (see below).
Suspension Price: $2,579
Adapter Brackets: $200
Hardware: $25
Total: $2,804
NOTE: 1.5 hour of assembly labor is additional as Ohlins come disassembled with most parts individually sealed/packaged.
NOTE: Slight modification to mounting points is necessary in front. Alternately, bolt-on 1G front camber plates are available for additional cost.

NOTE: Muellerized website prices are generally current, but pricing fluctuations do occur and are outside of our control. Please call for current pricing.

KiNgMaRtY

I was going to get a set of Ohlins but my buddy was selling his Robispec KW V3's off his Redline time attack car which he took several first place victories here in socal and I could not pass them up as they only had track miles and were/are in great shape. Plus, they ended up being less expensive than new Ohlins. In the Evo forums, its Ohlins R&T vs KW V3.

Also keep in mind that these Ohlins are not 100% bolt-on as they still come with Evo Camber plates. You either have to drill the holes or source out camber plates that will play nicely with the Ohlins. I personally ended up using Galant VR-4 specific Cusco camber plates on my setup.

Only reason I did not consider the Hotbits were because I remember reading members on here posting on how they were just to stiff and how they would not soften up enough no matter what they did. I know other have loved them. James Foster really likes his. Maybe the consistency is not there or perhaps they have changed valving and spring rates from time to time.

Currently, I think bang for the buck, it is almost impossible to beat the Feals.
There is a Miata in San Diego really killing it at the track with his Road Race spec Feals + Turbo. He has taken some first place wins over cars making 200-300 HP more than him.

Last edited:

pot

Staff member
Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Quoting pot:
Just to share with the group, I contacted Muellerized Suspension Systems two weeks ago and they still offer the Ohlins Coilover system adapted to our platform. It is pricey but then again you obviously get what you pay for. They do have to acquire a galant to ensure fitting/settings are to the clients specifications but again, it is a product that's available for our platform.

Like the ETS intercooler kit, I don't want this option to pass in the future so I will be purchasing this system very very soon and will gladly report back on my experience.

Pot, mind sharing how much a set of Ohlins would set me back? Also, how did you get them to spec out your set? I assume you didn't take your Galant to them?

I'll gladly share my experience and knowledge on this matter shortly -been a bit busy the past few days......

GotInsulin

Quoting ApexHunter:
I do recall that Larry had dyno data for them. Found: click

And i saw my buddy the other day, and asked about the deal with the HotBits. It was not a tuning issue that he was having with them. I wonder if Larry is still doing these and how his recent experience has been.

Not sure if this is the information you're looking for Apex, but I actually spoke with Larry a few months back when I purchased my Hot Bits. He's still rebuilding and can offer custom valving but did mention that demand has really fallen off because of the massive amount of suspension options that are out there today. He gave no indication beyond saying that he encounters the coilovers infrequently even for rebuilds as to anything to do with the company itself.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned