The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

OE Radiator replacement, Koyo or Napa

broncfan56

I'm in need of a replacement radiator as mine has a pinhole leak. I've read various opinions on different radiators, however, I am confused as to which would be better in this case. Koyo copper 2 row radiator, or Napa Aluminum single row radiator.

My understanding currently is aluminum dissipates heat better and last longer than copper, but 2 copper rows may cool better? I am sure either will work just thought I would get some opinions before I made a decision. Thanks in advance.

rdomeck

I purchased one from Carquest that looks like the Napa one for under a $100. It is the thick single row and I have not had any problems with!

broncfan56

Thanks guys, bought a cheap plastic one. It will work, but I hate buying parts that I feel are sub-par.

Vr4junkie

which one did you end up going with? I always liked Napa the quality of there parts are always a little bit better than most other auto parts stores.

broncfan56

I agree that NAPA parts can be slightly better quality in many cases. But after looking at both NAPA and other parts stores they all looked the same, all plastic, so I went with a Spectra Premium from rock auto for $85. I will keep my eyes open for a quality new radiator on the forum, I am sure someone has one sitting in their garage.

JNR

yeah a good quality replacement radiator is all you'll need and sadly they all seem to be plastic end tank and alum. cores anymore...aluminum does not conduct heat as well as copper, but is lighter. The exception is a different design in the plates and FPI density and/or more rows, but I doubt many of the aftermarket radiator mfr's put a lot of thought into this, as far as optimum heat exchanger goes. These engines are quite small, so they really don't need a lot of radiator beyond the oem, so you should be fine with what you have, as long as it doesn't crack (the plastic) and your cooling system is running right, so to speak.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts