The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Occasional stall issue

Giediprime

Hey guys. I am a long time lurker, but new member and wanted to hear everyone’s opinion on an issue I am having. I have 1991 #940 that I have owned for a few years now. It is 100% stock and has about 50k miles. It has run flawlessly until recently as it has developed an occasional stalling issue. It typically happens after driving for 15-20 minutes and just stalls when idling and stalls immediately upon re-starting. Letting the car sit for awhile resolves the issue. It only happens one of ten times I drive it but it has become an issue as I don’t trust it. I have searched the forum and it seems like it is an ECU issue. My local mechanic has given up so I am getting a bit desperate as I don’t have a good mechanic to help diagnose the issue. As such, I’d appreciate any thoughts on the diagnosis as well if anyone has any recommendations for a mechanic in the Phoenix area. Thanks in advance guys!!!

MellowVR4

Yea sorta sounds like an ecu issue. If remove the plastic piece under the dash on the passenger side, closer to where your right foot sits when your sitting in the car. that's where the ecu is. With ot removing it see if you can get a rotten egg smell coming it. You could also remove it and remove the screws to remove the cover from it amd take a picture and post it to see if any of us can see any obvious damage.

tyeler18

Test for spark when it does it. Does the fuel pump prime while cranking when it's acting up? Majority of the time I see this happen on higher mileage cars it's the CAS. On a lower mileage car like yours I'd be looking at the ECU first. CAS is easy to swap and cheap though if you wanted to fire a parts cannon at it. Diagnostics would be best though.

Giediprime

Here is a photo of the ECU. I don’t see anything telling but please let me know if you do. Otherwise I was going to go with one of those eBay guys that rebuild these. $125 is a cheap fix if that’s what it ends up being. Thanks for any and all help!

FlyingEagle

Staff member
If the ECU needs a going over, you send it to ECMLink, not Ebay rebuilders.

They are the most trusted Mitsu ECU rebuilders in the USA, and they make ECMLink (formerly KA DSMLink).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts