The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

o2 Sensor Connector

Chad989of2000

Newb question...how do you disconnect the o2 sensor connector? I have the round one (with 4 wires). I am repairing some wiring issues and can't figure out for the life of me how to separate the wire harness connector from the the o2 sensor wire connector. I know it separates into two pieces, but can't figure out how. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

There's a tab on one side. Pull up on the tab and pull both halves apart simultaneously. Should come right apart.

The tab looks like this:
B26-2.jpg

89Mirageman

You lift up on that little tab and it unplugs.

GST beat me to it lol.

Last edited:

Chad989of2000

Got it. Thanks guys, you rock.

Chad989of2000

Follow up question...
Where can I source one of these with the wires connected? One of the black wires is completely removed and the red is holding on by only a few strands. Is there a way to open it up and insert new lengths of wire?

Chad989of2000

Or can I splice in another connector setup (possbily change out the o2 sensor)?

pot

Staff member
The image Chad posted is of the car side. Disassembling the connector isn't "too tough." A quality terminal/pick set would make short work of this. I say this loosely however because I've had my for shake of stubborn connectors before.

Below is some motivation....

Wookalar

Maybe have a look at delcity dot com for some possible pins. If you can find replacement pins that match the ones you remove you can simply repin the plug. I faced this dilema years ago with the temp sensor plug on top of the thermostat housing. In fact many people experienced that challenge, most were just grabbing plugs from the yards. There is always that route and then soldering in the new/used one.

You will likely need the special tool that crimps the wire perectly so it can slide bafk into the plug housing. If you find new pins the tabs on them are very small, not like your local parts store typical spade and other connectors which are easy to crimp.

Does anyone make a new engine wiring harness for these cars yet? Im surprised no one has tackled that since the dsm's are still fairly popular "tuner" cars.

bradrs

Just randomly trying to match a pin up based on whether or not it looks the same is going to be an interesting experience. There are a lot of little differences in all the pins. And most of you who don't deal with auto wiring for a living would be unable to see the difference, even with them sitting side by side. Del City almost positively will not have the correct terminal. And I seriously doubt any they have would be a proper fit.

Your ECT connector is now available, brand new, with the right terminals etc. That sensor, you can actually get away with using the generic 250 faston connectors from Del City, but the proper terminal actually locks onto the sensor.

No one has made a new wiring harness for these, or DSMs yet. A bunch of companies have started too, but they always fall through. I think they realize that the cost of sourcing all the connectors for small runs will not be cheap, and that the market is not big. I have supplied several of those harness companies with the connectors for their prototypes. Still haven't seen any replacement harnesses yet.

Chad989of2000

Thanks for all your input guys. I am far removed from being this technically proficient in electronics. Another member had a spare sitting around with the wires already connected and seriously hooked me up. I'm just going to splice it in.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned