The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Numbers matching car

mountaineerjeff

Is there a code on the engine block or transmission that would tell you if it is the original motor/trans? i know alot of cars do, but would anyone be able to tell if it was just another 4g63 from another dsm, or another galant for that matter? Im just looking into swappin into a new motor but I want to be able to have my car completely stock in the future, like back to collector status.

Andy_S

vin's on the block and trans. On the block, its by the freeze plug that just above where the trans bellhousing bolts to.

mountaineerjeff

so can we swap the vins, or should I just hold on to my block and tranny for a rebuild on down the line?

maroonmetallic

the VIN is probably stamped into the metal, so it would be kinda hard to "swap VIN's"

-Shawn

curtis

Not if you own a set of stamps. Or have skills. My platoon sergeant cut and tig welded in a vin plate from a rusted out frame to a new frame in a 64 split window vette. Maybe if the buyer used an xray he could tell but by looking they couldn't tell. Your tax payers dollars hard at work on army airfields across the world. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fivestardsm

+1 Curtis. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I started a vin # re-do on a block to see how it would be. I tigged over the vin on a junk block to see how it would stamp. However, I need to find the correct stamps to do it right. The ones I have arent the same script.

The tig weld turned out really nice, but it didnt look quite right. The only way to make it look completely original is to weld it again and run a surfacer across it or a mill, I havent decided which is going to give the correct look yet. But this is only if you wanted to fool the most prying eyes, and then it all comes down to how honest you are. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DR1665

If you can read the VIN off the block and it doesn't match your chassis, run it through Carfax for a laugh. I got all kinds of lulz when I did this on the seized engine that came in 195/2000 when I picked it up. Carfax threw up all kinds of red flags trying to warn me about multiple accidents and junk title on the "92 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX" that I was "looking to buy." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

boostedinaz

Quoting fivestardsm:
then it all comes down to how honest you are. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This would be my issue. Why go through the work of making a "numbers matching" car just to screw someone. (Not that you would do that Steve) To me that is just really bad car guy karma.

Last edited:

mountaineerjeff

I wasnt trying to pull anything on anyone to begin with. I was just making sure I didnt sell my tranny off for $50 now when it would be a multi-thousand dollar price difference in the car (in 20 more years) im just gonna run on a new moter and tran now and then have both of mine completely restored. is there anything else that I would need to keep? obviously doors and firewall, but what about tcase or diffs or anything else?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Most of the removable parts including the bumpers and front fenders and doors have the VIN sticker on them due to theft-deterrent requirements in place at the time. Only the engine and trans of the major mechanical parts are VIN stamped.

turbowop

My original trans is ruined after trying to get one of the bearing races out of the part of the case with the vin stamped in it. Fuckin' thing wouldn't budge and I ended up having to get a new part and reshimming the whole thing. Guess I'll have to live with my numbers not-matching gvr4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts