The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

NT Engine Swap

tektic

Now that I got your attention... Don't worry this is for a dsm not a vr4.

So any way Blown head gasket. I have a spare engine from running 85k mile car. Thing is its leaking oil all over it self. So for $120 at rock auto I have everything to get it to seal up nice with new stat, injector seals water pump, ect, ect. Is this a good Idea or should I go further and change rod bearings and head gasket too?

The other question is, the valve seals need changing and I was going to attempt it without taking the head off, using a Lisle 36200 tool I purchased and never tried. Good idea? bad idea?

Lancer99

I would take it off just in case if you do end up dropping something inside the head, you have an easier chance of getting it out. And I would change the head gasket since your doing all that work, might as well be safe then sorry. Thats just my two cents.

prove_it

Screw that. You can change valve seals without pulling the head. Be ready to though, what do you have to lose by trying. If you drop the valve, then the head comes off anyway.

You said it's a NA so, do it cheap, your not making power, so I don't you'll lift the head or spin bearings. Pull the pan and take a look at things.

Last edited:

tektic

Is there a lot involved with a piston swap?
A stock style set is about $100 right?
New stock bearings and a ball hone, cut the rings to fit?

prove_it

For the NA? It depends on the block condition. Need to look for taper and out of round before dropping a new set of pistons in. If it's the NA, then you could be ok. For the turbo, not the best idea, but will work. Same with bearings, need to check the journals for damage, taper, out of round and rod clearance before determining if it's a simple parts swap.

Why are you wanting to do so much to a NA that already runs? Did you check compression first to see if it's even needed?

If you do go this route I have a set of factory main bolts that are BNIB. 9 of one, 1 with stud.

Last edited:

tektic

Since the whole engine will be apart already, it just seemed like a good time to beef it up a little. Maybe add a 14b later on down the road. I haven't opened it up yet but I'm assuming its in decent shape. It ran well when I bought it from a the po, a 65 year old woman in the city.

Your right though it's not needed. I'll Just do the seals.

prove_it

Better to decide now if your adding a 14b later. I'd be concerned the NA pistons won't last even with a 14b.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts