The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Non-Turbo conversion - transmission question

Hi. This may be hard to be address by the mainly US based members of this board but I'll give it a try: I am swapping a 1991 JDM Cyclone into a non-turbo 1989 4WD/4WS GTi Galant (Europe spec car). The engine is coming along with a 5 speed manual transmission and transfer case. Will the stock rear differential work with the swapped transmission? Many thanks on advance.

mountaineerjeff

I believe mounting wise it should be fine, the only problem will be to make sure you have the right/matching ratios/

anyone able to reflect on the ratios ? do I need a turbo rear differential or will the non-turbo diff work?

donkeylips

I know that if you have a galant gsx here in the US, and you want to run a dsm or gvr4 transmission, you need to run a dsm or gvr4 rear diff.

donkeylips

But ggsx parts are hard to find, at least here, and if you break something you're screwed. Maybe they're more abundant there but the best bet is to go with the gvr4/dsm rear diff. Might as well upgrade to a 4-bolt.

thanks for taking the time to give some feedback. If I am to change the rear differential, would any GVR4 or DSM Turbo AWD diff fit? any known differences in ratios? anything I must be aware of when looking for parts online. Any suggestions as for where online to look for parts?

mountaineerjeff

well here we can just throw in a rear end from any vr4/dsm, but you are going to have to be careful. there are many more options available overseas and many more combination, you have multiple ratio's available in 4bolt and 3bolt, with and without lsd. the easiest way to do it would be to just get both out of the same car.

Last edited:

Muskrat

Get the serial number off your transmission, and refer here for the final drive ratio. Or do a Google search for it, if it's not in that list.

AFAIK there are only two possible final drive ratio's for the AWD car's. 3.909 (in NA this was in automatic DSM's, and the non-turbo awd galants) and 3.545 (NA manual DSM's and VR-4's).

I wasn't able to find the Galant GTi final drive ratio with a google search, but I'd guess it has a 3.909 rear end. It would be geared higher to give more torque w/ the naturally aspirated engine.

What you could do is attach a degree wheel to the input on your rear dif, and turn it until you get 1 full revolution on the output shaft, and note how many revolutions on the input it took. That number will be your final drive ratio for the rear dif.

Last edited:

misterfixit

galant gti =2.846 rear. box is a w5m31 while a vr4 is a w5m33.

rich

Last edited:

mountaineerjeff

so that sounds like fun for me. then could have an even nicer ratio for daily driving.

misterfixit

You will have to make sure that the ring and shaft from the w5m31 will fit in the w5m33 box.

Rich

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned