The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

no start after timing belt job

b00st33d

I just replaced my timing/BS belt and when I turn the key in the ON position my dash lights would come on normally but when I turn the ignition the lights would dim and the engine would not even turn over (the battery was fully charged). I also tried jumping the battery and it would turn over but it would not start. I had verified that I am getting fuel when I jumped it. I also verified the timing marks and it was still right on the money. Additionally, I can still turn the crank with a ratchet and a socket.
Besides the Timing/BS belt, I also changed the exhaust/turbo seals, removed ABS but left the harness for it, changed the throttle body to a rebuilt one, used an extended clutch slave rod because the pedal was way too low when I put in gear (clutch was replaced by previous owner - unknown brand).
My car is at my sisters house right now and would like to know what else I need to be checking in addition to the list that I have below:
-check fuse, battery terminals
-check electrical connections
-use a buzzer to check CEL
-check and verify all grounds
Thanks in advance.

89coltgt

Check for compression and spark.

Last edited:

GVR4ZUM

Recheck coolant temp sensor and CAS if you haven't already. Hope that helps.

I would check all of your grounds. You might have missed one and thats causing your no start issue.

cspetros

+1 on checking for spark. If you have it, this eliminates the CAS as a possible cause. No CAS signal to ECU = no spark.

Last edited:

Kenny_Kline

When you turn the key, does the car crank? Crank meaning starter engages fine and crank turns like it normally would? If so,

How did you check for fuel? You just check fuel pressure? If so, post results of how much fuel pressure it read when cranking. Next, If your getting good fuel pressure, are your injectors pulsing? Test injectors with a test light. They ground to pulse. Make sure you have gas in the tank too LOL. If all fuel checks out fine, move onto spark. Spark test tool and see if you get spark in all 4 wires. If so, do a compression test. Post results. Then also line up your marks on crank and cam gears to be sure everything is in time. You could be 180 out. Post results.

Last edited:

b00st33d

^^^ it would not crank unless I jumpstart it. When I try to turn the key the lights on the door, dome and dash suddenly dims. There is a buzzing sound when I put the key in the ON position I am not sure what it is but its coming in front of the car.

Quoting b00st33d:
^^^ it would not crank unless I jumpstart it. When I try to turn the key the lights on the door, dome and dash suddenly dims. There is a buzzing sound when I put the key in the ON position I am not sure what it is but its coming in front of the car.

The buzzing could be the started check the ground for the started and solenoid..

b00st33d

Kenny, I charged the battery overnight before I started the car. I used my other car to jump the battery and it would turn over but not start. I will go back and work on it today and clean/replace battery posts and terminal. I will also bring my multimeter and double check the voltage on my battery.

prove_it

Your terminals are loose. Either that or your battery is junk.
Your no start is probably not as complicated as everyone is making it. If you only did the t-belts and thats it, only things you took off and replaced then I bet your cams are 180 off. It's the only thing your changed. Start there. Stock cams have two sets of marks. It's easy to do. You'll also show good fuel, spark, compression tests too. Just my two cents anyway.

cspetros

The cam gears are aligned to the cams using dowel pins. If the timing marks are correct, you'll see a mark at 9:00 on the intake cam gear, and 3:00 on the exhaust cam gear. The dowel pins should be at 12:00.
Tbelt5.jpg

Have you used the VFaq website yet? Here is a good link: Timing Belt Replacement

Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

b00st33d

Yes, I actually printed it out when I was changing the timing belt. I have everything lined up, even the dowel pins.

prove_it

Ok, well your car isn't starting because you changed something when you did the job. Recheck everything you moved or took off. Not sure how you preformed the t-belt job.

CarRacer

It has to be electrical related. If the electrical system is having problems turning the car over, it's probably having problems generating spark.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a semi depleted system is unable to make a spark. I'd check the cable clamps. The ones on my car had been on and off too many times and were just plain worn out. I bought new ones from NAPA and I solved an intermittent ground issue.

Kenny_Kline

You guys crack me up. Its not the battery or atleast isolated to the charging system. The kid says he puts cables on it and it cranks fine but wont start so what does that tell you right there? ITS NOT ONLY A BATTERY ISSUE! And for all we know, he could of left he car on or something open that drained the battery to begin with. You cant just assume he has a bad battery because he did a timing belt job and now it doesnt have jice in the battery. It makes no sense

prove_it

easy kenny, he did mention before that he tried jumping the car, but still didn't start. I have a feeling that he disconnected either the coil packs or the transistor when he did the belt job, as long as the cams are right and not 180 off.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned