The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

No Spark on Cyl 1 + 4

kitcho

Hi guys

Okay, my car wouldn't start today so I pulled the spark plugs one at a time to check for spark. Only cyls 2 and 3 have spark at the end of the plug wire.

This leads me to believe that one coil on my coilpack is bad. However, before I go buy another coilpack, are there any other possibilities that would suddenly cause no spark on those two cylinders?

btw: I have a jdm galant, so usdm coilpacks are not plug and play and I will have to source one from here most likely

gtluke

The coils are the same, just the bracket is different.
The other thing that could cause this is the cam angle sensor. I've personally never seen it kill only one coil but I have seen a broken wire on the CAS kill one coil. Usually when they die it kills both.

kitcho

^ Really?

Interesting.

I read on another forum that it depends on the year for the coil pack? I had a usdm one (wasn't sure of the year) and the coils were completely different than what I had and wouldnt swap into my JDM bracket. Should 91+ usdm coils work?

Thanks

Last edited:

gtluke

I believe there is a difference between the 88-90 and 91-93 coils. I had a JDM coil and I used to use it for testing, it had the same plugs but a screwed up bracket for the cyclone intake.

kitcho

does anyone have a pic of a normal usdm 91-93 coilpack for reference?

edit: and im guessing that buying from an auto wrecker is probably a better idea than a coilpack from a parts store?

Last edited:

92GVR4num65

Hey, i JUST had this problem....was drivin fine one day, went to "punch it", suddenly felt like a tractor. found cyl 1 & 4 no spark. Replaced PTU, still did it, replaced coil, boom shes her old self again...I got the USDM one off ebay for like 50. Oreilys and autozone sold new coils for around $118 A PIECE!!....anywho i have an extra PTU, if u need ill part w it...I have my old crappy coil pack too ill post pics of tomorrow mornin when i get off work so you can compare...idk if the coils are interchangable....like if you can piece together 2 coils for the number 2&3 cyls to make a good coil pack (i dont c why not) if you can ill part w my pack too if you want...lemme know. (When i say part with i mean some REASONABLE compensation would be appreciated) I had a DSM buddy also suggest CAS...however i swapped the one off my Talon so that helped a bit...

belize1334

Yeah it's either the Power-Transistor(igniter) or the CoilPack. It COULD also be wiring but that seams unlikely. The simplest thing is to just get another CoilPack and see if that fixes it. The other thing you could do is swap the ground-straps on the two coils and then switch the spark plug wires. What that'll do is swap which coil is firing which cylinder pair. If it's still 1/4 that are dead then it's gotta be the igniter. If it becomes 2/3 that are now dead then it's gotta be the coil.

On a final note... our ignition system fires the two cylinders in series... That is the current travels down one wire, across the plug, through the head, back across the other plug and back along the other wire. That being said, if one plug stops firing due to a melted plug or a shorted wire it will make the other stop firing too even if that plug/wire is perfect.

boostedinaz

If it's dropping 2 cylinders like it is most likely the CAS or CAS wiring. I just went though this on another car a few weeks ago. We found out that one of the wires for the CAS was somehow broken in the harness.

It is always a good idea to check all the other components as well like the ignitor, coils, ECU, etc... but I would start with the CAS.

92GVR4num65

heres the pics

The plug

The USDM coil pack itself....(The good used one i got off ebay)

kitcho

My issue has been resolved.

Went to a wrecker, he had a coil pack which was apparently from a 96 accent (???) but it matched mine exactly, minus the harness and bracket. Swapped out the harness and bracket, put it all together, and she started up like a champ.

thanks for all the replies

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts