The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

No Spark. Found no pulse at Pin 10 of Ecu - EVO III ecu/ wiring - HELP PLEASE

Specter

Dear All

Lately, on several occassions, my car started sputtering after cranking, as if running on 2 cylinders. However, it stablized after few seconds. Now the problem is permanent. The car starts, sputters, and shut itself down. I looked at the transistor out towards the coil pack, there was output for only one coil. I checked the pulse signals coming from the ecu to the transistor in each of the two wires, only one wire had pulse output from ecu, the other is silent. The dead wire in pin No. 10 of the ecu i.e. IGN Amplifier A. The ecu is throwing good pulse at pin 23 i.e IGN Amplifier B.

I am running a evo-III setup. Here is the ecu pin out -

I have checked Pin 12, 13, 25, 26, 60, 62. All have good voltage/ ground.

What am I missing here? I think the CAS is working fine since i have spark at one pin No. 23. I also have fuel at the injectors since the car starts, sputters for sure since its running on 2 cylinders.

I think the next step is to open the ecu and try to find the cause in there.

Kindly let me know if I am missing something.

toybreaker

iconoclast
May I suggest you do a quick test?

[without removing your old cas] plug in a known good cas to your harness, turn the key to the run position, and then spin the extra cas by hand.

Even though the engine is not turning over, the ecu will "see" the signal from the external cas you are spinning in your hand as a "real" signal, and it will throw fuel and fire at all four cylinders if it's healthy and the cas is working correctly.

The beauty of this test is that it tests the whole system at once, the harness, ecu, coils, and transistor, and will quickly verify the problem is not the cas.

Specter

Hey toybreaker!

Good to see your post after a long time! I dont visit these forums much, caught up with life.

I found the problem. Its cam angle or crank angle sensor grips. As soon as i unplugged them both and plugged them back, i had pulses flowing through both the pin outs and car started instantly. So i guess its the worn out wires near the grips/ loose wires. I cleaned the grips with a grip cleaner/carbon remover.

I would like to narrow it down and reach to the precise problem and then correct it.

Thanks a lot though!!

toybreaker

iconoclast
I had you do that test because it's better to rule out a problem in the engine compartment before chasing *potential* ecu issues. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Which cas unit are you running?

There's a green top, optical unit that is prone to weirdness, then there is a black top hall effect unit (used on 93-94 usdm t/e/l models) that is much more robust / less prone to weirdness.

When it comes to cas issues, half the time it's the cas unit and half the time it's crispy / baked wiring / damaged terminals that keep the cas from operating correctly. Just un-plugging and plugging the unit back in will get them to work

... for a bit ...

But, as soon as you have a lady friend in the car, fate will put you a foot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

The easy button for repairing the harness connectors (grips) is the excellent kit that Mr Sheridan has assembled for the discerning technician.

He has put together several different kits, and they are available from several different sources.

The guys at JNZ tuning are probably your best bet (talk to Josh or Paul) to get the right kit for your needs and get it shipped overseas.

... gonna need some pics of this car at some point /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bradrs

Toybreaker, we need less pics of those connectors in the plastic box, more pics of them on the car!

I've tracked down a bunch more connectors since we spoke last.

Specter

Firstly, that is a pretty decent kit! Would get one soon.

Secondly, prior to firstly, my car ran for 2 days straight no issues, it was fine when I had a female friend for a long drive in the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.It has been parked for three days and now that i am cranking it, its doing the same crap again.

I'll have to find a good known cas to test the system.

Meanwhile, what if i open up the cas, hook up a pulse meter/ led to the cas to its wiring, spin it by hand and check the pulse it is giving. Do you suggest I should try this?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned