The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

No second gear when turning left?

AWDPower

I've developed a strange transmission problem. It started about a week ago when I would occasionally miss second gear. There was no grind, just no gear. After moving the shifter a bit and trying again, all was well. Over the course of the week it started becoming more frequent. This was strange, since this has been one of the best shifting DSM transmissions I've driven, especially from 1-2. I just put me car on the road a few months ago, and hadn't missed a shift in the 12,000+ miles I already put on it. It's my daily driver right now, so I've been treating it gently. As the problem became frequent, it also started popping out of second on deceleration. The transmission has also become very noisy. It's never been quite, but now has a very pronounced gear wine, epecially as the clutch is engaged. It stopped popping out of gear, but now it will not go into secong when making a left turn. If I leave a left turn at a light, everything feels fine until I let up the clutch after the 1-2 shift, then all I get is revs. No grinding, but no drive. If I cycle the shifter to another gear then back to second, it is fine. If I go strait from a stop, second is fine. Right turn, second is fine. I tested it all day today, and it failed during every left turn. This has me stumped. I'm parking it and pulling the tranny this weekend, and I've got spares. I was wondering if anyone has had these symptons before.

On a realated note, I've got three spare trannies to chose from, all from DSMs. I believe two are 22 spline '91's, and one is a 23 spline '92. One of the 91's is a known good transmission, the other two I picked up from a Pick 'n Pull in unknown condition. The current tranny is a '92 23 spline DSM tranny. My car had been down for a long time, and I'm a bit behind on the latest tranny info. It used to be thought that the later the tranny, the stronger (center diff) and better. It seems the current thinking is that the only advantge to the later trannies is the better syncros, the center diff isn't any stronger, and the shift forks are weaker. Is that correct? What would be the best combo with what I have available? Known good '91 with the 23 spline t-case output swapped over?

Thank you,

ktmrider

Can't remember off hand but research crank walk symptoms, sure sounds like it...

DynastyLCD

late 91 - 92.5 transmissions are the best out of the box, IMO. they have the newer style center diff, and you can install Evo 3 gearsets without modification. the way you can tell, is that the center differential has the mark in the gears like the 93-99's, but you won't see a 3-hole 3-4 shift fork like you would in those later years.

like ktmrider said, it would be a good idea to check for lateral crank play as this could be a start of crankwalk.

EMX5636

Pop the end case off and check the 36mm nuts on the ends of the shafts. Usually the problems start with 4th or 5th, but it's a shot.

mitsuturbo

2nd gear is on the intermediate shaft. If you're making a left and it comes out of 2nd, then it's likely that your outermost tapered roller bearing on the intermediate shaft is shot. The shaft is sliding toward the passenger side of the car, and the 1/2 slider is remaining in the shift fork, causing the teeth to disengage. This would be in-line with the noises you described as well. Drain the fluid completely, pull the end of the case, and try giving the shaft in the middle a wiggle. If it moves, you're going to need new bearings. Maybe a new adapter plate as well. Since you're going to have to go that far into it, may as well get new hubs, sliders, synchros, and seals. It's very likely that since it's dropping 2nd, the slider has some significant wear on that side as well.

Or just toss a good (relatively speaking) transmission in there and swap the output shafts. Simple, but you'll still have a 20 year old gearbox in there. Don't expect it to last all that long.

AWDPower

Thanks guys. I'll pull the tranny this weekend and let you know what I find. Where is a good place to get replacement parts to rebuild the transmission?

Thank you,

EMX5636

Quoting AWDPower:
Thanks guys. I'll pull the tranny this weekend and let you know what I find. Where is a good place to get replacement parts to rebuild the transmission?

Thank you,

I get all my stuff from JNZ Tuning. But Shep, Jacks, TRE, and any of the other big name guys can get them.

slowpoke

Get a hold of tim Zimmer in Waukesha, wi he has great advice and builds dsm transmissions for a living. He has built.my trans in my 1g also. tmzperformance.com

EMX5636

Yea, Tim is a good trans guy too. He offers a lot of help online so it shows he's a decent guy overall too!. I hate listing stuff like that, because I always forget a few.

AWDPower

I pulled the tranny today. I haven't had the chance to tear into it yet, but it's definitly a bad bearing. I can hear and feel it while spinning the input shaft by hand. Any advice on what I can do to check my spare trannies before I install them? I think I'm going with my '92 23 spline DSM tranny. I spun the input shaft by hand, and went through all of the gears with no obvious problems. The front diff and t-case output spun in the correct directions, so I guess that means the VC is okay. Anything else I should check?

EMX5636

The front diff and T-case output spinning is checking the center diff. It's hard to check the VC. You would have to hold the front diff while trying to spin the T-Case output shaft. It should be tight, and unable to spin. But the good news is, unless someone broke an axle and drove on it, or had different size tires front to rear, it's usually tough to kill the viscous.

But if the other checks you did feel good, and there isn't any metal on the drain plug, there isn't much else you can do until it's in the car. Good luck!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts