The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

No power at all ... need help diagnosing

TMG

Drove the car today after a month and filled up with gas. Car was running great until I got home. While parking the car, it suddenly died. No power at all. I thought it was the battery so I charged it (it wasnt dead but did need a little charge)and tried again with no luck. I checked all the fuse in the engine bay and inside the cabin but all seem good. The ECU was already capped but I did not look today to see if there is anything obvious.

There is just no electricity coming in so cannot turn the engine over, everyhting is just dead. Any suggestion on what I should look at next? Alternator?

TIA for your input. Jojo

Terry Posten

Do you have ANY power in the cabin? Like door lights, radio, clock, etc...

When you turn the key, any dash lights, hear a click when turning the key?

If no power at all, anywhere: check the large, bolt-in master fuses at the battery. There are 3.

If you have power in cabin, check your clutch kill switch, check the large harness plug in the engine bay directly under where the stock MAS sits. It is on the frame rail and if loose, can cause no crank and no run. Because it feeds the MAS wiring, starter key switch trigger wire, and more.

Last edited:

TMG

No power inside that cabin at all (no radio, light, seatbelt) so cannot even crank the motor.

I checked the fuse that is attached to the + terminal (specially the 100 AMP) and it is good.

Terry Posten

Do you own a multimeter?

What is the voltage at the battery without any wires attached?

What s the voltage at the battery with wires attached?

If you have 12.5ish volts with both tests above, have someone turn your key to the start position while checking voltage at battery. What happens?

acidrumz

Check the wiring and connectors going to the key ignition/steering column.
For some odd reason my TT adapter to the connectors was burnt/melted.
Had symptoms like yours.

GL.

dammitjim

Quoting TMG:
No power inside that cabin at all (no radio, light, seatbelt) so cannot even crank the motor.

Sounds like a loose/dirty battery terminal or a bad battery cable.

TMG

Thanks for the replies. I will check again and see what I find.

TMG

Finally got the car running. The power loss was due to a totally dead battery so I hooked up another battery and the car started immediately but but when I stepped on the gas it started cutting off and there is a spark under the dash right by the ECU. There are no sparks at idle and the idle is steady.

Has anybody experienced this before? I have not pulled the ECU yet (fyi it was capped before) to see whats going on with it. I dont know if this new issue is due to losing the power and now there is a short somewhere and the ECU is getting fried.

mikus

Focus on that spark issue first. Down in that corner you have MPI & ECU, MPI is under the right side of glovebox. take both down, disconnect and inspect thoroughly for burnt/melted/loose wires, look closely at MPI for melt damage, look for "aftermarket" loose wires. May want to bench test your MPI while it's off, not hard to do.

What aftermarket stuff is wired onto your car and how, specifically, is your fuel pump rewired (location, source & gauge of wire)

TMG

I'll check both, thanks. Currently, the only wiring that is aftermarket is for the alarm system. Fuel pump has not been rewired yet.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts