The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

NO dash badges!!! wtf!?!?!? ....rant....

BoostedAWD91

Guess ill throw my 2 cents in here as well. I hate to see a perfectly good Vr4 ripped apart and thrown away as the next person, but trying to keep these cars around for ever is just not gonna happen. By the time all of us younger members get older, this board will most likely not exist anymore because their wont be any Vr4's left, except for a rare few here and there which then might be worth something. As far as the dash badges go, yes its crazy for people to take them off the car and sell them unless the car is being destroyed. If u really wanna buy a car without the dash badge, i wouldnt, just buy one and slap it on and be done with it.

red90awd

Ill chime in I guess!

As far as the badge thing goes, I understand, I would like to have my badge back because it belongs w/ the car! The person I bought my Galant from lied to me and said the previous owner took it, in all actuality, the kid took it. If he was upfront about it I would have been less upset. Would it have stopped me from buying the car? Prolly not. I bought my care because it was in for the most part good mechanical order and the body of the car and interior were for the most part flawless (for a 18 year old car), oh not to mention it was Kensington, the rarest color of them all. I looked at 3 VR-4's before i got this one, 1 of them needed to be scrapped, one of them was in alright condition but wasn't something that I could start with, the third one was the Veer4's car on the forum which i was going to buy however when the time came he backed out of the deal.

I purchased this car in November, brought it into the garage and am now fixing all the little things, new head gasket, timing belt, shocks, brakes, AWS delete (T/E/L 3 bolt and sub frame), tires / alignment. This car will be my daily driver once finished, I currently drive a 05 Legacy GT and I wanted to go back to something w/ out a car payment, that I know I can work on (not to mention maintenance cost), and that has the potential to be a reliable daily driver. Im making sure to cover all the maintenance things to make sure it doesn't leave me stranded on the side of the road. I believe that a good amount of know how, making sure all maintenance on the car is completed, and the car is washed and waxed regularly it can last a good while.

I am thankful for the folks who do part these cars out for the sheer fact that you can't get some parts anymore and the only way to get these parts is from a donor car. It's the nature of the beast, I owned what I thought and many other to be a very clean 1g (hence the name) and I did have to go to some people for used parts because they were not available from the dealer.

That was my 2 cents.

Oh, 381 your car is clean BTW

Last edited:

uncleben4rice

To Me its just a car. I recently bought a VR4 for $400, put a $500 motor in it, and sold it for $3500 all in a months time. They are worth something to some folks. Car 654/2000 will be worth money in about 10 yrs dash numbers or not. THE MORE RARE THE CAR THE MORE ITS WORTH. However the original examples will set the value bar, So try and keep the badges /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Believe it or not, somebody at Mitsubishi knows the numbers of the original Long Beach 3000. They know everything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif.

my 2 cents... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

NateCrisman

Quoting Street Surgeon:
Wow...

This can all be summed up as follows.

Mitsubishi Galant VR-4's aren't worth much, probably won't be worth much in the future, and typically many are in a general state of disrepair. IF you like yours, and it's clean, then keep it that way. If you want to be Captain Save-A-Hoe then BUY or pick up these busted shells and "restore" these fantastic works of modern art /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Rather than complain about people parting them DO something about it, buy one.

I like these cars, but sometimes we have to step back and get in touch with reality. Most people don't give a crap about GVR4's, and if we as a community cared as much about them as some claim, then we would buy these shells or take them off of other peoples hands. I like my car, it's fairly clean and now it runs like a top after some major maintenance. That being said, I also know what I own, a relic of years past that's widely been forgotten and is only appreciated by true niche enthusiasts. It will never fetch the kind of coin that I've put into it, nor do I expect it to. Keep the good ones on the road, and a few spares in the garage. What happens to the rest I could give a $hit.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif Amen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Quoting red90awd:
Ill chime in I guess!

I am thankful for the folks who do part these cars out for the sheer fact that you can't get some parts anymore and the only way to get these parts is from a donor car.

Thanks for your vote /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quoting BoostedAWD91:
Guess ill throw my 2 cents in here as well. I hate to see a perfectly good Vr4 ripped apart and thrown away as the next person, but trying to keep these cars around for ever is just not gonna happen. By the time all of us younger members get older, this board will most likely not exist anymore because their wont be any Vr4's left, except for a rare few here and there which then might be worth something.

The only thing that I disagree with is that you have the cause/effect backwards. GalantVR4.org board as a community isn't "going away" because the cars are being parted and going away. If the board/community goes away, it's because of the lack of interest in the car. Members come here, buy cars, get tired of it, sell the car for what they can get, and move on to other things. But there aren't new members coming in to replace the leaving ones as fast as the old guys move out. This is the CAUSE of partouts, low GVR4 value, and "hard to sell cars".

I just can't seem to get you guys to acknowledge that the lack of community enthusiasm and lack of new members is what is driving the whole thing. That's why whole cars sit for months unsold. That's why people part them out. (I'm certainly not the only one...there are many many partouts going on, I might just be the most outspoken one). They go right to parting out because they KNOW they won't be able to sell the car whole.

Doing ANYTHING with rules regarding partouts, car crushing, whatever...does NOTHING to stop the CAUSE of the all the problems. The only thing that will keep GVR4's alive in the long run as a species is renewal in enthusaism and an increase in the size of the community. That is the only way to save the cars.

The sooner we try and come to grips with reality. Sticking your head in the sand and ignoring the root cause and thinking you can somehow increase value, increase demand, and stop cars for being destroyed by somehow exurting control over what people can do with their own property is an utter waste of time and completely foolish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Last edited:

381gvr4

Quoting red90awd:
I would like to have my badge back because it belongs w/ the car! The person I bought my Galant from lied to me and said the previous owner took it, in all actuality, the kid took it. If he was upfront about it I would have been less upset. Would it have stopped me from buying the car? Prolly not.

This was more or less the situatiion I was referring to. The previous owner is now gone probably never to return. I did not intend to start a pissing contest over value, partouts and opinions! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sad.gif

Nartanian

I gotta admit at this point I totally agree with Nate. I use to think he just didn't care since the drive-train could be found on any dsm and Evo's are still being produce. When you actually look at it though, the value of gvr4s is determined by the enthusiast. It's as simple as that. If nobody wants it it worth nothing. If everyone wants it well then it worth more than gold. I believe at some point there might be a time where their are more enthusiast than there are gvr4s and that when they will be worth more than an arm and a leg.

Last edited:

Struc

I have to admit... I got pissy on my local DSM board a couple years ago with gvr4johnny. He bought 517/2000 off the guy I sold it to, and started parting it out after a while. Then last December I bought 56/1000, and it needed parts. Damn if I didn't end up asking him if he had the parts - and I did buy a few things off of him. Luckily for me, he was a good guy and forgot the past.

I've changed my viewpoint on GVR4's a bit, since seeing many of the pretty nice ones go for $3500 or less. Yeah, too many out there and not enough demand. Too many hacked, too many (like mine) with 175k miles or more, too many with bodies that are just so-so, too many with crappy paint, etc. If somebody were to take a really exceptional zero rust GVR4 and start ripping it apart for parts - yeah, I could see people getting pissed. But with the glut of hundreds of "so-so" cars out there, save the drama for those.

To the OP: Absolutely agree. Badges need to stay with the cars unless they are getting crushed.

Nate: Part away.

BoostedAWD91

Quoting NateCrisman:

Doing ANYTHING with rules regarding partouts, car crushing, whatever...does NOTHING to stop the CAUSE of the all the problems. The only thing that will keep GVR4's alive in the long run as a species is renewal in enthusaism and an increase in the size of the community. That is the only way to save the cars.

The sooner we try and come to grips with reality. Sticking your head in the sand and ignoring the root cause and thinking you can somehow increase value, increase demand, and stop cars for being destroyed by somehow exurting control over what people can do with their own property is an utter waste of time and completely foolish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Completly agree with ya there

turbowop

Luke, you're a great member of the community, but you're thoughts on part-outs are pretty dumb. I'm with Nate. Even if he parts out 30 gvr4's, that's only 1% of them. The ones that are beat-down are practically worthless as whole cars and aren't worth the money it would take to rebuild them properly. These aren't Shelby Cobras where just a numbered frame is worth ten times the amount of one of our cars running. The community isn't going to go away because some of these cars are being parted out. They may be a rare car, but there are still plenty to go around for the few people that are interested in them.

donkeylips

I've got 497/2000 and its got some pretty bad front end damage. Also has a lame aftermarket sunroof. The plan was to use it to turn a GGSX into a GVR4. I figured I would post it up after I was done with it and see if anybody would want to save it. I know now that I probably wouldn't be able to give it away, so I'm swapping all the gsx parts and keeping it a running car, although it will definitely be a bastard gvr4, but no matter what condition its in THE BADGE WILL STAY ON THAT DASH UNTIL THE DAY IT ENTERS THE JUNKYARD. I'll be swapping all of the ggsx parts into it and it'll be a non-turbo vr4 with a cloth interior and a strange wiring harness. My friend is interested in buying it, DDing it and slowly fixing the damage and turning it back into a VR4 over time. It has very little rust so its worth saving as a super cheap car built from spare parts. Hopefully it won't bring the rep of all gvr4s down with its ragged condition but its better than being sent to the crusher.

A ban on part outs would be ridiculous. I hate seeing perfectly good shells sent to the crusher, but the rusty and dented ones can go. As far as giving shells away, I'm sure if the cars were more visible they would sell. I'm always on the lookout for a clean shell and I know tons of DSMers who are trying to get into 4-door cars but never really think to visit this site. If you're parting out a car, instead of destroying the shell post it up on some DSM forums. I know people who would love to transfer their DSM drivetrain into a gvr4 but don't really know just how easy it can be to get one. Nate is definitely right, so lets start recruiting people to save these cars.

I think a lot more of these cars can and should be saved. Come on, I don't think people are really hurting for parts that bad. Fuel tanks, sending units, seats, and dog legs for sure, but the entire drivetrain minus the driveshaft can be taken off of the all-too-common dsm and there were tons of gvr4s outside the US. Having those shells around is particularly nice if you drive your car year-round. 924/1000 is parked outside and although I just got it washed it is usually covered in salt. I'm only doing this to it because it already had its share of rust and I'll be doing everything I can to prevent it, but having shells around I can just swap it if the rot gets too bad. Using a gvr4 as a winter car/beater is a great luxury, and I'll be happy to scoop up the less-nice cars and put them to some practical use.

Seems like everybody on here only talks about keeping the nice cars nicer. I'm all for that, but I think being able to go outside and hop in the vr4 every single day, all year, and just driving it like a normal car probably gets me more excited than having a "nice car" to worry about and only drive occasionally. This was done with 255 and it rotted horribly. Maybe some por15 would have helped. Maybe the components could have been swapped into one of these "free" or dirt cheap shells and another car could be roaming around as a cheap and awesome DD. You guys that want them to keep getting rarer and rarer are screwing people like me over.

no way i would take a ggsx that works apart to make a non turbo vr4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbowop

I would have swapped all the parts from the GVR4 over to the GGSX if the GSX shell was in better shape. Including the whole dash and badge. If the GVR4 has front end damage, why waste the time with it? The GGSX shell is identical. Sheesh.

I love these cars too, but some of you guys are on crack.

donkeylips

Yeah the GGSX is rust free and straight as hell, and the GVR4 is....busted

4Grim

People have GVR4s for different reasons. Some want the car strictly on its performance platform and thats it. Some want it for its "limited edition" and rarity and want to restore, maintain, or preserve these sedans.

True enthusiasts and fans of these cars will appreciate these cars...but MAJORITY of people will give 2 craps about these cars and see them as just another "car". Yes...I don't like seeing GVR4s in general being scrapped, but I do understand that some of them are way gone to be restored to its original glory. I do commend those few that save them and try to get them running again... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif to you.

If you own one and you truly have a enthusiasts love for the car..then just be happy you own one and appreciate it. You can't help what others do to theres unless you offer to buy it and save it from "destruction" yourself.

Feel kinda weired posting this since mine has JSB for almost 2 years now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4wheelsqueal

personally i think the badge should stay with the car unless it's going in the junkyard. that's what seperates the vr4 from the dsm. i have saved three vr4s from the crusher/partout. 1049-blown engine. 1945-stripped shell. 713/1000-no motor or tranny. i hate to see cars that can be saved or are in better shape than mine being parted out. 1945 has been put back together and is a rolling shell. will be repainted/rebuilt this spring. 713 runs and drives. 1049 needs lots of work but not planning on crushing/parting out. my first one, 555, just went over 271,000 miles and runs fine. i don't care if it's not worth anything to KBB or anyone else. these are unique cars with numbered badges. how many other cars have this that don't cost an arm and a leg?
and if i lived closer to nate, i'd probably have two or three more vr4, but i have no more room any more or time to go and get them. so i will clean up and fix my collection as best i can and move on with life. those who want to pull off badges are going to. people who part out vr4's for money will continue to. i can't change that and no one else can change that unless you buy the car before it's parted out. ranting and raving on here won't stop them because there's a market for the parts. want them to stop, stop buying parts from them. no demand, no reason to supply. that's my .02.

NateCrisman

I found this thread, and low/behold, it's 2015 and thought it needed a bump since a few times I mentioned "lets see what the situation looks like in 2015". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Im still parting cars. The world didn't end. GVR4 running cars are still pretty worthless overall. so nothing has changed in 5 years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

GSTwithPSI

Keep parting them out and junking them...Cuz the only way these are ever going to be worth something is when there are 100 left. But, by that time, people will just buy an imported JDM model already equipped with all the more desirable parts for cheaper.

For anybody who bought a Galant VR-4 hoping it's gonna be the next classic Mopar, sell now and save yourself the disappointment.

prove_it

I didn't buy the GVR4 and keep it based on what I want it to be worth. I bought it and will continue to own it because it's a car I love to drive.

NateCrisman

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Keep parting them out and junking them...Cuz the only way these are ever going to be worth something is when there are 100 left. But, by that time, people will just buy an imported JDM model already equipped with all the more desirable parts for cheaper.

For anybody who bought a Galant VR-4 hoping it's gonna be the next classic Mopar, sell now and save yourself the disappointment.

Certainly not! Which is cool with me, I love that we can buy, maintain, and race these cars and not destroy your wallet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Quoting prove_it:
I didn't buy the GVR4 and keep it based on what I want it to be worth. I bought it and will continue to own it because it's a car I love to drive.

I hear that. I just got another one to daily drive, looking forward to getting it on the road.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts