The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

No boost at all

Was going down the road hard in 3rd gear and suddenly the car lost power. No knocking or otherwise weird mechanical noises. Vacuum is good. All hoses look to be in place. Everything looks normal. Is my turbo bad? At WOT car is now right below 0 for boost. I thought turbos died violent smokey blue deaths. No unusual smoke when I am on it from the tailpipe.

Ideas?

Thanks

So I notice that the turbo outlet pipe is loose and one of the bolts is ready to back out completely. There is not a huge gap though. Would that be enough to create a NO boost situation? I would imagine reduced boost would be the case but not complete boost loss.

The ETS pipe makes it extremely hard to tighten the allen heads down.

Thoughts?

Thanks

transparentdsm

yeah def tighten that up, i have a hair pin leak in between my exhaust manifold and my turbo and that is causing boost leaks and a 4000 rpm cut out.

The bolts are rediculous to get to for some reason. Maybe a swivel would help. I will run a BLT when I can. I will also test the external wastegate and BOV when possible. I have a one way valve installed from the valve cover and the line is split on the intake manifold side. Based on previous experience, I'd bet something else is up. Just figure that a turbo would die more violently but anything is possible.

Boos929

I had almost same thing happen to me my wastegate actuator arm fell off they are held on with cotter pin and always break

mitsuturbo

Look at the inlet of your turbo.. did it inhale some hair? Any strange noises whatsoever? Bent/broken turbo fins usually cause more turbo "whine", so you'd probably notice that, but it's worth checking anyhow. Especially if you still have (had) the rubber thing around the mouth of the turbo. Maybe something like this happened...
Inhaled4.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks....my biggest worry is that the dipstick was about 2.5 quarts dry at the time that I might have starved the turbo of oil or done some other engine damage resulting in low compression e.g. timing belt jumped a tooth. I am going to go ahead and do a compression test first since that is the easiest to do....

Compression was always 164 on this motor...will take a look and see if it has gone down substantially.

What on earth is that rubber thing sitting in your turbo BTW? Ahhh it is folded up rubber...wow.

Last edited by a moderator:

SouthCaliVR4

The rubber thing is the factory inlet pipe adapter. sometimes they squeeze out & suck into the turbo.

Pull your air intake off & try to spin the compressor side of the turbo by hand. It's likely siezed.

one of mine went that way & made no noise at all.

Will do, thanks. Compression is perfect in all cylinders whew....I guess a bad turbo would be nothing in this case!

Haha you are a GVR4 God! It was seized.

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
The rubber thing is the factory inlet pipe adapter. sometimes they squeeze out & suck into the turbo.

Pull your air intake off & try to spin the compressor side of the turbo by hand. It's likely siezed.

one of mine went that way & made no noise at all.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts