The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

nice size rust hole. do i stop or attempt to repair?

Kibby

Sorry i haven't posted in awhile. Busy fixing the daily. Been doing a hr here and there on the galant and noticed a rust spot. A few pokes and this is my result. The underbody has rust and holes as well as both lower fender areas. Is this worth fixing or should i part this out and stop now

Kibby

Underneath will require sanding metalwork and reundercoating. I just wanted to make sure this isn't a safety risk

prove_it

Dig deeper and look for more before making the call on to kill it or not. That looks like a patch would work out ok.

ApexHunter

^Agreed.

My car had the exact same thing, same size, both left and right wells. I took it to the fabricator that we use at work. They are quite good, and specialize in chassis fabrication. They thought it was a fairly simple task.

89Patches

So maybe a dumb question but what causes them to rust there? Kinda in a random spot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

bobdole

I had in the same spot. Both sides. Easy repair really. I just cut the old stuff out and filled in with new metal. Then treated the area.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

Quoting 89Patches:
So maybe a dumb question but what causes them to rust there? Kinda in a random spot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

mid atlantic area uses crazy amounts of salt on the road and thats right where it all gets kicked up and packed in, then the salt turns the snow to ice and it ends up sitting on the car all winter or until it warms up enough to melt off. so for about 2-3 months out of the year you have a pocket of salt and ice on your car in that spot, unless you are anal and scrap out your car wheel wells.

Kibby

Is there a writeup on these repairs. Ive never been in the body work area before so i wouldnt really know where to start other than sanding and cutting out the bad stuff.

bobdole

There are video's on youtube you can watch to give you a basic idea. Just search "how to repair rust spot". This will give you the basic idea. You will need to be able to weld in the new metal.

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

I found this on both sides of the front of my rocker. I was excited that it wasn't worse, and there weren't more spots. Your spot doesn't look that bad to me

manikbastrd

Coming from someone who put a crap ton of money into a car that ended up not being worth it due to rust...Stop now. Find a better shell. Play with this one, maybe daily it, but don't waste your money on a heartbreak unless you plan to go over the entire body and every panel. You will regret it later if you dump money into a car that is more rust than car.

Kibby

I already planned to do the entire underbody and fender area. Why stop now? Shes already jsb and it will be a fun experience fixed or junked. Its just money and i can always stop if it gets too bad.

prove_it

I'd rather see another rare beast saved than junked. Seriously the rate these are getting scrapped and for the reasons is way too high.

Strip it down, acid bath it and tig weld the seams and repair all rust. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

You need to tear off all the panels and properly evaluate the car overall. If there are a few spots like the one you posted up, I'd say fix it and move on. If the whole car is a rust bucket, then you may want to cut your losses. The first thing I would do is strip the car and see what you're working with. Then decided if it's worth fixing.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned