The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Newbie with tire/wheel combo question

1990GSXNA

I have searched and searched but haven't found much info on if I will need to trim the control arm or not. I have found a pretty decent deal on a wheel and tire combo that is 17x7.5 40ET and I want to know if the Known wheel and tire combination of 235/40/17 would need any trimming or gender cleanse issues. I do have camber plates on EVO 8 suspension that's a tad lowered roughly an inch, I didn't measure the before ride height. Also, I'm not trying to have a race car or anything I just love the look of wide tires under the car.

Ride height reference

fuel

gender cleanse issues? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

also 235/40 R17 is quite wide for a 7.5" rim and quite a bit of a taller overall rolling diameter than the stock 195/60 R15 tyres - I would perhaps go for 215/45 R17. I think 17x7.5 ET40 will fit OK too.

KiNgMaRtY

I would shoot for a 225/45/17. I currently have 17x7 +40 and I have plenty of room so your 7.5 should be fine. I have 215/40/17 with are way to small IMO (installed by previous owner). They are almost toast so I can get some new rubber.

thomcasey

A 235/40 is only 2/10 of an inch taller than factory, so not terrible. but the tire width might rub. 225 would be extra insurance

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have used 215 and 225 (both 45 profile)on wheels from 6.5" to 8" wide. Should be good other than 235 might be a bit wide (as mentioned) given that offset.

1990GSXNA

Thank you all for the replys, I think I'm pretty much set on the 235s and my question to the .org is will the 235s have any clearance issues? To be more clear on this, will there be any issues with rubbing the fender? Or will the tire be too wide and hit the lower control arm?

thomcasey

Depends on whether the back spacing will be greater than 6.7" or not. As all makes of tire are different, you may not know until you put one on and test lock to lock.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned