The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Newbie wheel question.

Terry Posten

I am looking for new wheels for my DD.

The stock wheels are +49mm backspacing. The wheels I am looking at are +40mm back spacing.

Does that mean they will be 9mm further into the wheel well (closer to the a-arms) or further out of the wheel well.

And am I thinking correctly that on a 8.5 wide wheel, with a 49mm back spacing is basically the same as a 8" wheel with a 40mm back spacing (distance of the back of the wheel to the a-arms). Because 9mm is just under the .5 inch width difference?

I assume you actually meant offset vs. backspacing. The lower the number, the further out the wheels will stick.

And your thinking on the width vs. offset is almost right; offset is measured from the overall width of the wheel. In order to get the face of the 8" +40 wheel to the same position of the 8.5" +49, you take half of the width difference and apply it to the new wheel.

Now what wheels are you looking at - I wanna see...

bobdole

The higher the offset the more they sit in. The lower the offset the more they sit out. So these will stick out further.

Terry Posten

Great. That does clear it up.

The wheels I am looking at are used and I really don't care what they look like as long as the don't have a "hoopty" or "getto" look.

They will have snow tires mounted at the best value for function.

Basic silver, 5/6 spoke is preferred.

My rotor/caliper setup is 17" in diameter. (7.5" from center bore to outer edge of caliper) An 18" wheel will have around .25 inches of clearance. Super tight but 19" snow tires are twice the cost.

If I had my choice and money was no option, these are what I would rock for the three seasons. (they are stock setup on the Portfolio package)

click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned