The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Newb with with stripped down vr4

NoEvo

Hey everyone, new to DSM world and excited to get car running and enjoy these great cars. I have had this shell vr4 wasting away for the last 10+ years and I'm finally trying to get it running. I picked up a jdm 4g63 to throw into it and now I'm running in to a bunch of oddities with the car. It has a maft box spliced into the original harness and has a few wires connectors missing. Is the maft worth getting to work? Should I just try to get it running stock first? I dont know much about tuning... this car so far is a mystery to me. The more I look at it the more stressed out I get. It is missing ac and power steering, the harness is cringe worthy. Any insight or guidance is appreciated.

ggsxkid

"Hey everyone, new to DSM world and excited to get car running and enjoy these great cars." I always have to appreciate the early "DSM" optimism! 😂😂 Welcome! Personally I'd ditch the maft. plenty of newer/better options that are plug and play as well. I'd suggest just getting it running on stock maf/tune at first and slowly progressing into the mods. And if the harness is super hacked/in bad shape I'd suggest trying to find a replacement (I know near impossible) or making sure you can fix up the wiring as is. Nowadays the biggest struggle is people trying to "get it running" whilst having wiring issues. But definitely do all the maintenance first and take care of all the small things. And most importantly just start finding threads and READ. Not only here as well, plenty of good info on dsmtuners as well. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions!

NoEvo

I think I'll just work to get it running with stock motor. Came no engine but had 20g tubo in trunk which was exciting. It has been a bit frustrating so far. The car was given to me and I thought it was awesome to get such a unicorn for free! It does have one tire in the salvage yard but I think I can it back to life. Just a ton of missing parts, questionable "mods" and its hard to find parts for these nowadays.

ggsxkid

Yeah finding the parts will be the worst part but there are a few places where you can find them. Performance partout is one of them. Along with here, dsmtuners, and there are a few galant FB specific pages as well. Not to mention DSM classifieds/parts pages on FB too. Safe to say just stick to getting it running and running well. Does it have all the drivetrain as well? That will be a whole other issue/problem if not unfortunately.

diambo4life

Get a "new" harness and restore to stock as much as you can. Junk the MAFT and just run the stock airbox. Jump on the VR4 forums. There's a guy who's always stripping and parting out these cars and you will find all kinds of random things that you need from them.

www.galantvr4.org

Good luck.

diambo4life

Get a "new" harness and restore to stock as much as you can. Junk the MAFT and just run the stock airbox. Jump on the VR4 forums. There's a guy who's always stripping and parting out these cars and you will find all kinds of random things that you need from them.

www.galantvr4.org

Good luck.

LMAO. I am obviously retarded. I thought I was on Tuners when I responded to that ^^^^ post. Forgive me. I was tired. :D

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts