The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New VR4 Owner

Just traded my 98 GTP with pretty much every bolt on you could put on it. New motor, race trans, larger supercharger, headers, suspension, corvette throttle body, the works. Had about 10k into the car and wasn't really impressed with the power. So I went to sell it so I could buy a VR4 as i've always liked them, but realized real quick that there's not really a market for a fwd family sedan pulling 13's haha. Luckily for me, one of my friends had a VR4 that he was looking to trade me for my GTP. Long story short, got a 91 Belize Green VR4 #852/2000. Guy said it has 272 BC cams, a 16g, and the obvious FMIC. Other than that, I have no clue what it's got. A lot slower than my GTP, but the fact that it's AWD, AWS, and manual is more than enough for me to enjoy it. Big plans for it, but need to first learn the basics haha. So feel free to school the noob. First Mitsu/4G63 i've ever dealt with, so i'm sure i've got some ground to cover.

Anyway, here's some pics of my GTP and new VR4

44649_150540341642418_100000593598485_368122_513229_n.jpg

61263_157336250962827_100000593598485_409927_743403_n.jpg

74000_127319627324397_100001390815368_182769_2431925_n.jpg

72744_127318910657802_100001390815368_182762_829515_n.jpg

150059_127319660657727_100001390815368_182770_1558166_n.jpg

74469_169587026404416_100000593598485_484381_7890382_n.jpg

Welcome. Fyi, read everything on here that time allows for. You'll find some of the most interesting and helpful information under the least interesting topic headings.

Adorsey

Nice change of pace! Welcome to the board.

Will do haha. Def a change going from fwd auto supercharged v6 to a tiny little awd, manual turbo 4 banger. Def enjoy the car a lot more as the GTP was a one trick pony. Straight line power house. Give it some corners and it'd fall on its face

raptorWagon

Welcome! It may only be a 2.0l, but it'll smoke that GTP you had before. There are several members on here that have run and are running 11s and 10s in the 1/4, easy to make decent power on the 4g63Ts. Searching on here before posting a question will help you along and learn more about these cars.

Wouldn't doubt it. Loved that GTP, but after a while, I realized it was a dead end road being it's weight, being fwd, and automatic. Wasn't a slouch, but I'm pretty sure half the money I put into it, I would have seen low 13s easy in a VR4. I was struggling to see high 13s with that setup haha

Last edited by a moderator:

IMO, you got ripped if you threw down 10 grand and couldn't run high 13's. My buddy had a fully decked engine on his GTP and he could run mid to low 13's. The car (gvr4) looks pretty stock. It should run high 13's with a 16g (with supporting mods). Shouldn't feel slow at all, especially after coming from a GTP. Might be other issues to address. 10k in this car should put you were you want to be time wise, and handle like a mutha too. Owning a piece of WRC history........priceless! My car with a stock 14b@ 15psi and light mods will run 13's on a stock exhaust too.

Welcome to the org., and good luck on your project. This is the best place on the web for knowledgable info on these machines. Not to mention the grip of stand up guys that reside here. It's a band of brothers you won't find elsewhere. A "wolfpack", so to speak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tune, traction, transmission, all variables that effected my time i'm sure. That and california isn't the greatest for an eaton supercharger that's know for getting instant heatsoak.

Def happier in the VR4, even if as of right now it's slower. Sure with time and money, as stated, i'll walk up and down modded GTP's. Got a few GTP buddies I have to shut up since they think I was foolish on my decision haha

Quoting Dbossman:
IMO, you got ripped if you threw down 10 grand and couldn't run high 13's. My buddy had a fully decked engine on his GTP and he could run mid to low 13's. The car (gvr4) looks pretty stock. It should run high 13's with a 16g (with supporting mods). Shouldn't feel slow at all, especially after coming from a GTP. Might be other issues to address. 10k in this car should put you were you want to be time wise, and handle like a mutha too. Owning a piece of WRC history........priceless! My car with a stock 14b@ 15psi and light mods will run 13's on a stock exhaust too.

Welcome to the org., and good luck on your project. This is the best place on the web for knowledgable info on these machines. Not to mention the grip of stand up guys that reside here. It's a band of brothers you won't find elsewhere. A "wolfpack", so to speak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"We're the three best friends that anyone could have!"

And you low elevation guys are so lucky!

LUNARFX

Welcome to the board as well. The board is full of informative threads that can definitely lead you to the right path. Enjoy the benefit of the gas mileage over the domestic as well!

Thanks guys. Already have my eye on a few things on the board. 5 lug swap and t/e/l shifter. Love be near a junkyard with TONs of dsms heh

KiNgMaRtY

Welcome to the board. There are lots of knowledgeable people on here.

Congrats on your upgrade /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited:

ninnyVR4,

Welcome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am local / buds with ninnyVR4, great guy and very handy. Let me know when you want me to look her over. I am off Wednesday morning - Saturday night.

Chad

edit:

Read the bibles:
http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/
http://vfaq.com/index-main.html
https://www.galantvr4.org/docs/
http://www.machv.com/ecperguid.html
http://www.buschurracing.com/dsm-stage0.htm

Mistu parts program: https://www.galantvr4.org/docs/apps/WINCAPS.zip
OEM Mitsu parts: http://jnztuning.net/shop/catalog/

Hey Chad, waiting to hear from ya haha. Well I'll be picking it up very shortly and as soon as I do, i'll have Brad tag along to see what you think. That and maybe you can hook a brother up with some of your spare parts :p

KiNgMaRtY

Just realized you were local!
There are bi-monthly DSM meets in the IE area in Rancho Cucamonga every other Wednesday at the In & Out at 8:00-9:00 PM + off Foothill off the 15th. Next one is the following week. You should come out

Try to makeit out. Want to get it all registered in my name and all that jazz. Now, I got the car from Utah and was wondering if I should be concerned getting it smogged with the 272 cams and 16g. Looks stock to the naked eye so it should pass visual

KiNgMaRtY

Sometimes 272's can cause and issue. If you have a good cat it should help. I would do a smog pre-test first to make sure it can pass just in case. You don't want it on record the the car did not pass smog

I got my talon to smog on 272's with a 3" chevy van cat. had to lean her way out for the test. ill send you the shops address that passed me.

other wise i just... well, look at which state plates i have on my cars.

edit: hit me up, i seriously need to review your setup before you even go to pre-smog. I also have some "other" hookups... for a price.

more edit before i sleep... (drunk posting)

272 cams isnt impossible (no one said it was but your concern is valid), its just that, all those mods and the mods to support those mods add fuel to be burned.

the guy that did my talon with 272 said "she just doesnt want to run or idle" its because my idle was set to lower than average and other influences were a factor. she would idle if she wasnt cared for (revved / peddle feathering / heal and toe, whatever) and i didnt change any of that for the test. but he was "cool beans" and we worked it out with very little effort on my end.

not sure how you're setup, maybe running higher idle or what not/else. either way. i feel its my obligation to look at ur chit* (goatse) before you pre-smog man.

mitsu family /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif if your running 272's and a high idle, you will fail. you must be below 0.9-1k rpms.

you must of course burn clean which requires gadgets with tuning. you must also not have a CEL light. you must also be able to produce a CEL light when the tech disconnects a vital component (testing system, etc). you must have a cat, etc.

hit me up, im off the rest of this week and back to work Saturday night. I am available any time of the day. just let me know 6-12 hours ahead.

later dood, she is or can be a very very fast car and reliable if supporting mods and care is taken. maneuverable and traction-ability is inherited!

l8, Geno

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned