The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Transmission.

manikbastrd

Well, I am forgoing the Motor build...for now...and dumped all of my Boss 302 Supercharger fund into buying an Ultimate Ratio Road Race HD trans from Jack's transmissions. I sprung for the 4 spider and micropolish as well. I figure if I am going to buy one tranny to hopefully last me all the way to 600+ WHP (and then break when I push it farther) I might as well do it right the first time. Yes it was expensive, and yes I was sleep deprived when I called...I seem to make interesting decisions after staying up all night. I am really excited to get this thing into the car, and will post a very thorough unboxing and writeup about the quality and feel of the trans when I install it (as soon as I can possibly get my car on the lift after I get it). Tim@Jacks says that my wait time is probably about 3 weeks in total.

Basically I just wanted to tell some people who would actually be excited for me as opposed to the standard non-GVR4/DSM guy response of, "you spent THAT much on a transmission?!?!?"

Also, I was curious, anyone know what the resale on one of these is?

Cheers for now!
-Manik

Olson

Very nice i plan on buying all the parts and doing almost the same build for mine when i get back home

manikbastrd

I wish I was confident enough to do it myself. I have zero experience pulling apart transmissions. My buddy Chris keeps telling me it's easy, but this way I get a warranty and peace of mind. I sincerely hope your build goes well!

Olson

I have no clue how to do it. there is only one way to learn if you ask me and only one person to be mad at. goodluck with the trans i'm interested to hear how it goes

Jesus_Negros

You didn't spend that much. Think about how much a beat t56 will cost ya.

Kibby

I planned to go all out on my build too. Clutch is goin and 2nd gear syncros r shot. Prob goin with tre. Lmk how the tranny feels

manikbastrd

Quoting Turbro_Negro:
You didn't spend that much. Think about how much a beat t56 will cost ya.

When the tranny goes on the Boss (hopefully from too much power) I will upgrade to T-56 Magnum, which is supposed to hold 800WTQ...but its also 8 grand... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Quoting Olson:
I have no clue how to do it. there is only one way to learn if you ask me and only one person to be mad at. goodluck with the trans i'm interested to hear how it goes

You are absolutely right, and I want to learn one day, but I think for now I will stick to learning on dirt bike bottom ends haha

manikbastrd

Quoting Kibby:
I planned to go all out on my build too. Clutch is goin and 2nd gear syncros r shot. Prob goin with tre. Lmk how the tranny feels

I actually had a TRE box in my old galant, so keep your ears open when I review this one as it should be a somewhat decent comparison.

Kibby

Though the price difference has me leaning towards tre right away. Not saying jacks is bad but idk.

manikbastrd

I can appreciate the price difference. The website information at Jacks, along with their very very good reputation for customer service and infrequent complaints is what sold me. Also, Jacks offers a warranty where no one else will. It definitely is no secret that you pay more with Jacks, but I got them on the phone first call, which is more than I can say about some companies, and they are not "too good to be building a DSM tranny" like some are. Lastly, I believe that you get what you pay for. There are a lot of things that you will pay for a name rather than quality, but I think that in this case you really do get what you pay for. To each his own and I don't mean to speak poorly of any other trans builders out there. I would also look into JNZ because they were my only other real choice for my trans. Then again, who knows, maybe it will be awful and I will have wasted a bunch of money...But I doubt it.

Kibby

Tre offers the same warranty jacks does. Under normal non race driving conditions. So buying the ultimate ratio "race" transmission is kinda voiding the warranty right there. I dont really see anything good about posting a warranty when you say the transmission is built for xxx power yet racing it will void it. Though if a part in the transmission gave out before even reaching the advertised power limit id be bitching.

Jesus_Negros

Had a TRE trans in me old G, and it was awesome. But, it was built back in 2009 so I'm not sure their quality is the same or not. I havent a reason to find out...yet.

manikbastrd

Reviving this thread because I have updates on the new Trans. It ships tomorrow and I have pics of the assembly if anyone cares to see them.

mitsuturbo

Looks about like what i put together, except i didn't do a front LSD, and i opted for the evo 3 fifth gear. I think the gearset ran me about $2200, shipped. I already had a new 4 spider waiting to go along with it, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chad989of2000

She's pretty. Always better to do it right the first time, once and done.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts