The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New to this forum

gvr41190

Hi,

I've been a lurker on this forum for about a month since buying 1190/2000 and thought that I'd take a second to hi and thanks for this great collection of knowledge.

A while back I had a 2g GSX that I lightly modified, but after having kids it proved to be impractical, so I sold it. I've missed AWD and forced induction everyday since. I found 1190 for sale near me and decided that it was time for a project. Unfortunately the PO hacked at it pretty badly. When I got it, the compression was very low across the board (90-100), not to mention a laundry list of other dumb things.

So far, I've pulled the head to find a bad head gasket. Also, though I know it's not the accurate way to measure the piston to wall clearance, I was able to fit a .012 feeler gauge. This motor has 175k, so I guess the bottom needs some work. I'll probably have some questions as I get into this.... Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Steve

toybreaker

iconoclast
Welcome to the board!

Dont be so quick to write off that bottom end. The top land of the piston is ground undersize, so sticking a feeler gauage in there will show much more clearance than there is.

What kind of condition are the bores in?

gvr41190

Thanks for that info. Supposedly, the motor was rebuilt a couple of years and two owners ago, but the PO wasn't able to confirm this. The bores do have a good bit of cross hatch with only a few shiny spots, so maybe I am ok. Before pulling the head, I did a wet test and the numbers increased by only around 10%. Later this week, I plan on taking the head to a local machine shop to have them check it out.

Here's the list of mods that the car currently has:

balance shaft elim kit
Evo III 16g turbo
halman boost controller
AEM wideband o2
apexi safc
GM MAF with translator
ACT 2600# clutch
2g throttle body elbow
fmic w/ 2.5 piping
AEM fuel pressure regulator
walbro 255lph fuel pump re-wired
550cc injectors
pocket logger with mmcd v 1.8

I'd like to get rid of the piggy back fuel control and run ECMlink sometime soon. I'm not sure about keeping the GM MAF. Basically, I want to do what I can to make tuning as easy as possible.

The PO said that the transmission has been rebuilt with 1-2 double synchros and evo shift fork. The diff is welded. I plan on fixing that right away!

The power steering lines were cut and the pump was removed. I've got a manual rack to put in. I'm not sure if I'll like it, but it was way cheaper than buying a new pump and possibly a new PS rack. (I'm not sure how long the old rack was driven dry.)

That's about all I can think of currently. I'm definitely open to any comments or thoughts that anyone may have!

toybreaker

iconoclast
Sounds like you're doing your homework. It's a very good idea to inspect everything while it's apart.

Build it once, build it right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Was the compression test done on a warm motor?

A ten percent increase on a cold motor isn't too scary, especially if the increase was the same accross all four cylinders. (For future reference, a leak down test on a warm motor will really help clear up the condition of the bottom end.)

Good luck with your build, we'll leave the light on for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts